Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
It's interesting, though that no one's commiserating with me on this. Again, I have to wonder if I'm doing something "wrong" that's making it more of a pain than it needs to be. Or if I'm overlooking some tweak that will assuage my irritation.

One more thought: with anti-virus and anti-malware, fire wall, etc., why is this even a concern?
I'm not as OS-knowledgeable as either of these guys. But, in this situation, I have to agree with Phillip: if your computer is connected to the Internet - you should not interact with it while logged in as admin. If you plug-in a foreign storage device, it should not be as admin. Because - it leaves you no fall back position. Most malware and viruses are found as a result of having already infected a machine. Zero-day infections are unlikely to be noticed by your antivirus. If your machine catches a zero day while in admin - you may lose everything. You may infect your client's machines with files you send them. You may infect other's thumb drives you temporarily plug into your machine.

You also may not end up being the person that happens to. It's one of those things that isn't an issue - until it is. And by then it's too late.

All that said, I'm surprised that there are so many things you need to do as admin anyway - and curious. What is it about SAW that admin advantages?