Close

Default OT: Windows LSTC

Hi all,
    I recall that some time ago there was a lot of conversation about Windows LSTC, including potential illegal use issues and purchase locations, set-up, etc. Anyone have details/updates regarding those points?

I now wonder if people who have gone that route are still pleased with the functionality of the OS, so would like to hear some feedback.
    I couldn't find the link that gave access to purchase a location -- does anyone have that?

Any info would be much appreciated.

TIA
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Windows LSTC

Richard,

LTSC - at least for WIN10 users and for me personally, is the only way to go!

This being said, caution does need to be exercised.

1. You must ensure that the seller is legitimate.
    • I have been burned once.
    2. From what I understand LTSC's are only available at certain times of the year.
    • I am hoping that others will chime-in here to clarify this point.
    • I just checked my usual sources, and I see that none are available at the moment - at least at reasonable prices.

And just for interest, I have been able to upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro - at no charge!
    • This only works with the Pro versions of WIN7 however. And remember, this is an upgrade process.
    • The latest version of Windows 10 did remove some of the postponing of updates in the Pro versions...too bad!

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

LTSC - at least for WIN10 users and for me personally, is the only way to go!

This being said, caution does need to be exercised.

1. You must ensure that the seller is legitimate.
    ***8226; I have been burned once.
    2. From what I understand LTSC's are only available at certain times of the year.
    ***8226; I am hoping that others will chime-in here to clarify this point.
    ***8226; I just checked my usual sources, and I see that none are available at the moment - at least at reasonable prices.

And just for interest, I have been able to upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro - at no charge!
    ***8226; This only works with the Pro versions of WIN7 however. And remember, this is an upgrade process.
    ***8226; The latest version of Windows 10 did remove some of the postponing of updates in the Pro versions...too bad!

Hope this helps?
    Thank you Dell. I hope to get some forum users' responses with some reliable sources for purchasing at a reasonable price.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

I am also an LTSC user. I made an effort at the time to ascertain that my copy was legal. If you are unaware, the software is downloadable by anyone. What you're really buying is the certification to use it. In order for it to be useful - your installation first has to be approved by Microsoft itself. My feeling is that this makes it much more difficult for scofflaws to sell illegally, although perhaps not impossible. At the same time, it was so cheap on the site I bought it from that I have wondered about that. Also, that site only has one seller now - and that is Microsoft - and it seems to be on a physical thumb drive. And - it is much more expensive than it used to be at the same site. As a result, I have some niggling doubt as to the legitimacy of my purchase. I have no idea how to resolve that doubt though.

But, as for LTSC itself: I think it's great . I am currently sporting 3 different versions of Windows and LTSC is the only one that doesn't periodically piss me off. Without it, if you are connected to the Internet (which my copy is not), every few days, without your say so, you would be updated with new OS features whose value is dubious, or crappy games, and just have to pray that it doesn't upset the old balance you have struck between it and SAW. And, if you are not connected to the Internet, then you are running a version of Windows that MS presumes they can fix on the fly if something about it is iffy. The LTSC version is deliberately made on their part to stand the test of time without changes.

I think I remember that Dell introduced us to LTSC - and I am grateful for it. It's a godsend.

<UPUDATE>
    I just checked and Bonanza doesn't sell it itself at the moment. But, they have a link to an EBay sale with the thumb drive:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274609440346

...and I also found this, which seems shadier:

https://www.keysworlds.com/windows-1...2019-1-pc.html

Frankly, they both seem a little questionable. But, it's difficult to buy direct from Microsoft, unless you are a corporation, because it prevents them from monetizing your PC. And that's what W10 is all about from their perspective.
    Last edited by John Ludlow; 03-02-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Add me to the list of happy LTSC users. It's great to not have all that bloat or useless/potentially troublesome updates. Meantime, Dell says that Windows Defender still gets regular updates, so I'm a happy camper. And it was crazy cheap when I got it late last year.

A google shopping search shows hits from $20 on up. Legitimacy unknown, of course. But if you put it on a credit card, you can always get your money back.

Imagine getting Windows Enterprise with no bloat and no updates for less than the cost of a cheap VST plug-in. Better yet, stop imagining it and do it.

I think Dell will tell you, BTW, that it was Philip who got the LTSC ball rolling around these parts, IIRC. Though Dell was probably number two on the bandwagon.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-02-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Hello,

As noted, be very careful with places such as "Keys Worlds".

I have put out a query to some of my acquaintances to see what they have to say about this site?

Thank you very much for your input, guys. Any legitimate source information is welcome.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording