For a long time I have been getting occasional play buffer overruns in SS (32 bit, which I still use). I would just shrug and hit play again. It's time I did the deep dive to FIX this, but when I try to search for "play buffer overrun" in the help file I get nothing. Where can I find detailed information along with step by step procedures to finally nail this down?

I get this on both my studio and portable systems, with different hardware but the same version OS (Windows 10 LTSC), but I have had this happen with earlier versions going back at least as far as XP.

My studio machine is less than two years old, running a 6 core Ryzen processor, 16 G ram, ATI video, and a MOTU 424 pcie card feeding a 2408 MK III. I have tried large buffer settings but it didn't seem to make a difference (except for more latency, which is a problem when I am using VSTi's in production, and before anyone asks, I render to audio before attempting a final mix).

The session I was running just now that got the error has about 30 tracks and there is no midi or VSTi work involved.