Close

Default OT best choice of usb port card?

Forgive the involved story.

My studio computer has an ASUS mobo with an AMD Ryzen processor. I recently bought a Behringer Xtouch controller. When I hooked it up via USB, it was not recognized by the computer. When I connected the Xtouch via USB to my Lenovo Ideapad300 laptop, it worked right away. Both computers run the same version of Windows 10 LTSC, so I know the OS is not the problem.

A search for a possible cause led to a comment elsewhere (meaning not this forum) that some AMD chipsets may not fully support all possible USB devices, and that a possible workaround would be installing a pcie USB port card whose drivers might provide better support than what the mobo hardware/drivers could do.

Has anyone here done this? Is there a preferred brand/model of port card for this purpose?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: OT best choice of usb port card?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Forgive the involved story.

My studio computer has an ASUS mobo with an AMD Ryzen processor. I recently bought a Behringer Xtouch controller. When I hooked it up via USB, it was not recognized by the computer. When I connected the Xtouch via USB to my Lenovo Ideapad300 laptop, it worked right away. Both computers run the same version of Windows 10 LTSC, so I know the OS is not the problem.

A search for a possible cause led to a comment elsewhere (meaning not this forum) that some AMD chipsets may not fully support all possible USB devices, and that a possible workaround would be installing a pcie USB port card whose drivers might provide better support than what the mobo hardware/drivers could do.

Has anyone here done this? Is there a preferred brand/model of port card for this purpose?
    I had a post about a problem with Behringer x18 driver not initilizing a couple of months ago. It turned out that selecting one of the other usb ports (they are in pairs) 'fixed' the issue. Anyway AMD has developed a fix a few weeks ago. The article I read said that it was up to the hardware vendors to implement it in bios. I looked at the HP site about 2 days ago, and they have yet to have a patch - although since the current port that the mixer is plugged into is working fine, it is not critical.

Default Re: OT best choice of usb port card?

Update:

I bought a 4 port USB3 card for my studio computer (can't remember the brand). I loaded the drivers for the card. Device Manager can see the Behringer X-touch, and so can SawStudio, but SawStudio can't find it as a controller. I had to go back to running the X-touch in midi mode, and again SawStudio sees it and fully works with it. Apparently at least some AMD setups can't work the unit through USB, even with an added port card.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com