Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VI’s in saw64

Blog Entries

Default Re: VI’s in saw64

Microstudio,

All it means is that you choose Pre when adding a VST/Effect to a channel. In each channel, you have a choice of inputting a VST/effect either Pre/Post/F-Res
    ... Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

However, would this selection not be the default for most situations?

Not if you I use latency inducing plugins. Putting them pre fader makes automation moves not line up with their placement. If you use the plugin post fader, automation stays correct. For me, I can use non latency inducing plugins pre fader, latency inducing ones post fader.

For work with a VSTi, the track fader won*t affect the volume of the synths output unless placed pre fader. Or, you could place post fader and then route through a sub master and use the volume on the sub master channel.
    Last edited by MMP; 06-18-2021 at 04:32 PM.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Microstudio,

... Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

However, would this selection not be the default for most situations?
    SawStudio does not have a default for this you just choose what you want for each channel.
    Last edited by Microstudio; 06-18-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Not if you I use latency inducing plugins. Putting them pre fader makes automation moves not line up with their placement. If you use the plugin post fader, automation stays correct. For me, I can use non latency inducing plugins pre fader, latency inducing ones post fader.
    I've never used a Vst-I. What can you automate? ...or are your pre/post automation concerns just in general.

I'm kind of a lightweight in the automation department - usually just a bit of fader and pan, so haven't needed to explore all of the side effects. Are you saying if I add or remove say a vst that reports some latency in the pre patch point, it effectively shifts previously set automations?

Dell...I'm talking about VSTi's(SoftSynth)...normally you would patch a general VST post fader, to help control the overall level of the track.

What I was refering to is the SAW FX patch 'pre/pst'. My understanding is that your VSTi(SoftSynth) should be patched Pre-Fx, so you can take advantage of the 'Pre-Fx Patch Signal Flow =>>>', under the Mixer Menu, this will allow you to use Dyn/Eq, on your VSTi.

Compared to you and Micro and many others on the form...I'm pretty much a MIDI idiot...don't use it much...find parts of it confusing...just push through, and hope I get a noise...my understanding of Rich's question, was not a MIDI question, but a volume issue.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post

For work with a VSTi, the track fader won*t affect the volume of the synths output unless placed pre fader. Or, you could place post fader and then route through a sub master and use the volume on the sub master channel.
    I have never had any problems with latency patching in a VST/Plugin PRE?

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I have never had any problems with latency patching in a VST/Plugin PRE?
    It's not a "problem" with latency MMP was talking about - so much as a known difference in how plugins that induce latency (and many do - such as SAW's own Levelizer in peak limit and normalize mode - and yes, I realize it's NOT a VST plugin) will affect the sync of automation and regions on the MT. In pre position, they won't stay aligned, but they will in post position.

If you don't use automation and a pre-position latency-inducing plug-in together, then you probably would never know there's a potential issue. (forgive me, if I don't remember offhand if the plug-in and automation have to be on the same channel, or the offset applies to all automation in the session. I don't generally run into this issue, myself.)

Yes, I am talking about track automation. In the pre patch point, the latency of the plugin affects the timing of the automation on the track. So volume, pans, EQ changes etc are misplaced in the time domain.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I've never used a Vst-I. What can you automate? ...or are your pre/post automation concerns just in general.

I'm kind of a lightweight in the automation department - usually just a bit of fader and pan, so haven't needed to explore all of the side effects. Are you saying if I add or remove say a vst that reports some latency in the pre patch point, it effectively shifts previously set automations?
    Michael McInnis Productions