Close

Default MP3 to WAV conversion program needed

So I think this is one of those cases of going backwards by upgrading to the latest version of WinLame.

I've used WinLame for years whenever I needed to convert and MP3 to a .WAV to work in SawStudio.

Recently I downloaded and launched their 2020 Release 1 version - and now I can't seem to find a way to convert MP3 to WAV. (There are multiple output choices but none are WAV).

What are you guys using these days for converting files - looks like WinLame is no longer an option. (I did try to reload an old version I still had on the drive but now when I try to launch it - it says its missing a needed file)

Thanks for any advice.
    My Studio Site: www.chicagobroadcast.com
    Proud user of SAW programs since the early days of IQS.
    Producer/Engineer of a network radio program YOU have heard all your life..

Default Re: MP3 to WAV conversion program needed

I still use dbpoweramp on one pc and it works fine - but I haven't installed it in win10, but assume it would work there. I also use avc free on almost all my computers. It works great and has numerous audio file conversion settings.

Pretty much any command line player would do it if you read the help. But you should get the windows version of sox - which can be useful for a multitude of audio conversion tasks. There are probably many gui wrappers for it also.

Find the (documentation and) download section at:

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

used EZ CD Audio Converter for years.

https://www.poikosoft.com/

JMH - Thanks for the reminder that I had AVC on my computer. (correction - Thanks Up Till Dawn!)

Appreciate the replies! I'm all set now.. but still wonder why WinLame eliminated .WAV as an Output choice.

AVC is a nice program for ripping audio from YouTube videos also.
    Last edited by BillyK; 06-17-2021 at 07:06 AM.
    My Studio Site: www.chicagobroadcast.com
    Proud user of SAW programs since the early days of IQS.
    Producer/Engineer of a network radio program YOU have heard all your life..

That was actually UTD (that's almost an ominous acronym - stay away from the old people).

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I still use dbpoweramp on one pc and it works fine - but I haven't installed it in win10, but assume it would work there. I also use avc free on almost all my computers. It works great and has numerous audio file conversion settings.
    +1 for dBPoweramp, which is working fine for me in Windows 10. Right-click on as many files as you like in File Explorer and select Convert from the context menu. That's how I use it. There are stand-alone features (including conversion), too, but I never use them.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Freemake Video Converter

Dbpoweramp here. Also has batch processing options and many formats that you can convert from & to, including Apple lossless and all the weird wav 8bit formats that some answering systems use.
    Michael McInnis Productions