Close

Thread: Using layers

Default Using layers

When recording multiple takes on layers I may (digit to a layer) cut regions out and cnt drag click it to another track to comp something. Is there a command to fan the layers out in one shot to multiple tracks so I can see all of the layers at once (or something equivalent)?

Default Re: Using layers

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    When recording multiple takes on layers I may (digit to a layer) cut regions out and cnt drag click it to another track to comp something. Is there a command to fan the layers out in one shot to multiple tracks so I can see all of the layers at once (or something equivalent)?
    I recall that question or something along those lines being asked long ago (I might have even been in on the conversation).

That's never happened - but what has worked for me (and I do this sort of thing often enough to still wish we could show all the layers side-by-side sometimes) is to move the channel in need of comping down to a place where there are plenty of unused channels (or move a group of unused channels up to the track needing editing). Then I pull each layer over to an unused channel by first going to the layer I want and then using Ctrl/drag to move the track and keep it sync-aligned. Do this for all layers (moving each to another empty channel) and then I have all layers side by side. It can make comping a track visually much easier.

But I also often simply go to the layer I want to grab something from, use the K key to cut the front and back of a phrase. Then use the S key to select the region, followed by the right-click menu choice to copy selected region to x layer (found by right-clicking the channel label area), making sure to place the cursor at the beginning of that region before performing the copy. A copy of the region is then neatly pasted directly on top of the original track (or layer of choice) after verifying the desire to overwrite the destination track.

I hope this is clear, as I'm writing from memory just now.

Default Re: Using layers

It would be nice to visually see all layers side by side for comping takes