Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WTHOT: new thing: unexpected browser window pop-ups

I'll be trying to go to a web page, and I'll get an unexpected pop-up browser window (full height), that says "Redirecting, Please Wait..." at the top, then it goes to some other website. I'm guessing it's some kind of ad-directed malware thing. But what do I know? Malware bytes hasn't fixed it. Uninstalled stuff. Nothing.

Any ideas?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: WTHOT: new thing: unexpected browser window pop-ups

Hopefully this is not your production machine.

If you think it may be an infection, I would leave it shutdown until you can copy the drive or boot with a live linux cd, and then depending on what your harddrive format is like regular ntfs with no encryption, you are likely to be able to backup everything that is essential. Then you can start investigating.

Then it could be something as simple as maybe a script set a proxy server? ...or dns server as a lot of the browsers now want to override the connection's dns in favor of their own - which they claim are more secure, but you can never be sure that those settings are not be redirected?
    Last edited by jmh; 08-10-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I'll be trying to go to a web page, and I'll get an unexpected pop-up browser window (full height), that says "Redirecting, Please Wait..." at the top, then it goes to some other website. I'm guessing it's some kind of ad-directed malware thing. But what do I know? Malware bytes hasn't fixed it. Uninstalled stuff. Nothing.

Any ideas?
    Which browser are you using?

Blog Entries

Dave,

You may have been "parasited"? Try the following:

1. Clear the "cache".
    2. Perform a browser refresh or reset...search for the process for your specific browser.

If none of the above work, I may be able to remote-in to have a peep.

PS: In my book, Malwarebytes is a complete waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Which browser are you using?
    Chrome.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks, gents. Traveling today, so won't be back to my computer till tomorrow.

More info: when I arrived here in Tucson and went to my Mom's computer to log into my Chrome profile when opening the browser, I found that this issue had followed me. Same problem on her computer when using my Chrome/Google account. It did not do this last time I was in town and working on my mom's computer. AND: browsing under her profile/account does not suffer the same pop-ups.

So maybe there's hope for a less invasive fix?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Maybe you unintentionally agreed to install some browser extension?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Blog Entries

Ian,

That seems a logical assumption...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I'm thinking that a browser extension would have been installed on that particular browser (local to that particular machine). Whereas, Dave found that, on a completely different machine, his logon, on that same application, still had the same issue - whereas his mother's, on that same application, on that same 'different' machine, did not. So, to me, that seems to indicate that the issue is something particular to the account that he has logged into, rather than a browser extension - or even something on his machine.

As a result, Dave, I think the issue must be coming to you, each time, from whatever you have logged into - and probably is something you have (inadvertently) chosen that your mother has not. An examination of the differences between your setup and hers on that same remote application might tell you what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Weird thing IIRC is it happens regardless of which browser I use. The plot thickens...

I checked my extensions. I have five in Chrome (my primary browser). And I (think I) know what they all do.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 08-16-2021 at 11:39 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts