Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Test your routing knowledge

Why do you not consider SAW's pan/balance control a pan control when operating on a monophonic input source? What property does it not have to satisfy that definition?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Why do you not consider SAW's pan/balance control a pan control when operating on a monophonic input source? What property does it not have to satisfy that definition?
    The approximate volume is not maintained across the pan but increases in the center position.

If you replicate this:
    'Made a mono sine wave, put it on track 1 now click mono on the output track sweep input 1 pan from L to R and indeed crossing the center becomes 6dB louder on the main.'

...it will become apparent what is going on. I doubt you will see the same thing in any other daw - including sawpro. After reading several articles regarding pan, balance and related issues, we would see various differences depending on which taper was selected - but I believe the total output level should remain within a dB or two across the pan. You could probably test this by patching in the plugin that NaturallyDigital linked a couple of posts ago - and compare the output level while sweeping within the plugin vs that of the input module. I'm going out on a limb here - because I haven't tested this (yet), but you can determine if I'm misunderstanding what is happening.

You might have to assign input module 1 to output 2 where the plugin would be placed which in turn would be assigned to output 1 - but I think it would behave the same patched directly in the input module. I'm betting you would see similar results patching in various (stereo - as it would need the ability to pan) channel strip plugins as well.

This can give you an idea how you can make a sine-wave with this:

sox -n -r 44100 -b 24 -c 2 output.wav synth 60 sine 1000

That would be 2 channels, 60 seconds, 1000hZ

...it would have been handy to have known to use a sinewave years ago, which would have allowed me to better articulate what I was hearing.

I don't believe there is any specific definition for PAN that includes Pan Law. Pan law is an attempt to even out the level of the sound as it travels across the stereo field, but the specific implementation will depend on what you're trying to accomplish. is it -3db or -6db (or compromise -4.5db), or don't do anything at all and automate desired result.

PAN is simply moving the sound source in the stereo field (Left right or center).

As for SawStudio... there is no pan law.

See this thread where Bob answers this specific question. http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...Pan-law-in-SAW
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    I don't believe there is any specific definition for PAN that includes Pan Law. Pan law is an attempt to even out the level of the sound as it travels across the stereo field, but the specific implementation will depend on what you're trying to accomplish. is it -3db or -6db (or compromise -4.5db), or don't do anything at all and automate desired result.

PAN is simply moving the sound source in the stereo field (Left right or center).

As for SawStudio... there is no pan law.

See this thread where Bob answers this specific question. http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...Pan-law-in-SAW
    Yeah, I think that's right. What he said.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

> In most cases, I felt, the pans would be used to place a signal in the mix and leave it there... levels can be adjusted accordingly.

Hmm I must have missed this thread. It's funny that this statement is similar to where this thread began - I would say echos, but it is visa versa.

It is also a testimony to how much I can forget - because I keep using the pan then later wondering what I did to my mix. It's deja-vu all over again.

>It's still on the ToDo List... but has been pushed pretty far down near the bottom.

...I'm beginning to see that...

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    >

>It's still on the ToDo List... but has been pushed pretty far down near the bottom.

...I'm beginning to see that...
    It'll probably be awhile longer, too - that thread was from 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    The approximate volume is not maintained across the pan but increases in the center position.

If you replicate this:
    'Made a mono sine wave, put it on track 1 now click mono on the output track sweep input 1 pan from L to R and indeed crossing the center becomes 6dB louder on the main.'

...it will become apparent what is going on. I doubt you will see the same thing in any other daw - including sawpro. After reading several articles regarding pan, balance and related issues, we would see various differences depending on which taper was selected - but I believe the total output level should remain within a dB or two across the pan. You could probably test this by patching in the plugin that NaturallyDigital linked a couple of posts ago - and compare the output level while sweeping within the plugin vs that of the input module. I'm going out on a limb here - because I haven't tested this (yet), but you can determine if I'm misunderstanding what is happening.
    Here's another nice plugin in case you've not already discovered it. I think it covers just about all of the panning options one could need.

https://goodhertz.co/panpot/

$49