Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Default SoundFile View Zoom level

I'm working on Levelizing twelve separate tracks of classroom teaching (12 different teaching recordings from two different teachers... recording about 40-50 minutes per session). Each track contains one teaching session and the Levelizer. I need to get the levels pretty close to each other as quickly as possible. I hope to streamline the process of dialing in Levelizer settings on each particular track by easily switching to and visually referencing other tracks... but I typically need to see much more of the file in the soundfile view than what it defaults to. Is it possible to set a custom default zoom level for the SoundFile view so I don't have to leave my mouse and reach for the keyboard to select the zoom level?

Thanks!
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Default Re: Default SoundFile View Zoom level

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    I'm working on Levelizing twelve separate tracks of classroom teaching (12 different teaching recordings from two different teachers... recording about 40-50 minutes per session). Each track contains one teaching session and the Levelizer. I need to get the levels pretty close to each other as quickly as possible. I hope to streamline the process of dialing in Levelizer settings on each particular track by easily switching to and visually referencing other tracks... but I typically need to see much more of the file in the soundfile view than what it defaults to. Is it possible to set a custom default zoom level for the SoundFile view so I don't have to leave my mouse and reach for the keyboard to select the zoom level?

Thanks!
    Yes. Sort of.

First, you should know that the zoom level as displayed in the SF view is saved with each region when that region is saved. So you could save your regions in such a way that they all exhibit the same zoomed view when transferring from MT to SF view.

Second, and this may be the most useful, is that if you click on the little lock icon in the SF view, every time you double-click a region into the SF view, it will display the waveform at the same zoom settings (horizontal and vertical). You can change this "default" zoom setting at any time simply by changing the zoom of the current view. I find this very handy for lots of voice editing in a long project. I'll do an occasional change to the zoom with the mouse wheel, but for the most part I don't have to change it. It comes up the same every time.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Perfect! Never noticed that lock icon before. Bob's got the bases covered. Thanks Dave.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Blog Entries

You can also set up workspace views and then just select an F key to view anything in the size or view setup you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Yes. Sort of.

First, you should know that the zoom level as displayed in the SF view is saved with each region when that region is saved. So you could save your regions in such a way that they all exhibit the same zoomed view when transferring from MT to SF view.

Second, and this may be the most useful, is that if you click on the little lock icon in the SF view, every time you double-click a region into the SF view, it will display the waveform at the same zoom settings (horizontal and vertical). You can change this "default" zoom setting at any time simply by changing the zoom of the current view. I find this very handy for lots of voice editing in a long project. I'll do an occasional change to the zoom with the mouse wheel, but for the most part I don't have to change it. It comes up the same every time.
    Dave, this is awesome! I did not know this. So many files I work on are recorded very quiet, so , very useful :-)
    I've seen the lock and never used it....pathetic for someone who spends as much time in SAW as I do...
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    Dave, this is awesome! I did not know this. So many files I work on are recorded very quiet, so , very useful :-)
    I've seen the lock and never used it....pathetic for someone who spends as much time in SAW as I do...
    As Bob might say, you're about to have your ride in the SAW Ferrari smoothed out considerably.

(He also might politely suggest that you RTFM. )
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    ...RTFM...??
    ... does RTFM stand for "Robert the Ferrari Man?"

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    ... does RTFM stand for "Robert the Ferrari Man?"
    Yes. Yes, it does.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    As Bob might say, you're about to have your ride in the SAW Ferrari smoothed out considerably.

(He also might politely suggest that you RTFM. )
    I consult the manual frequently and have read them cover to cover several times over the past 20 some-odd-years with varying versions of SAW.

The text only version of an explanation is certainly not the same as a manual full of screen shots which the modern SAW manuals don't have to my knowledge.
    Flipping through the hard copy version I got with my Saw Studio Lite purchase in 2000, there are many black and white screen shots;
    yet, the SAW manuals with around 400 pages are nothing like the 1300+ pages of a Reason User Guide.

As a matter of fact, immediately after the penny dropped for me on this particular lock graphic functionality; I looked it up in the manual
    yes it is explained...yet, like I said, text only instructions of a UI is really only part of the story.

Even with screen shots, clarity may well not reveal itself until the user actually jumps through the hoops many times.
    For example, in Reason, learning Kong and how the various hit types work is explained with screen shots, but still took me a while
    to get a grip.

I have a workflow that works for me and add in new things as I go along; thanks for adding this one :-)
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Same for me. Manuals don't do much on their own (with or without pictures in my case). I made that last comment half jokingly. Sorry if I offended.

For me if I don't follow along, physically walking through the operations described in the manual, it's a lost cause. But once I do a thing a few times, it sticks. I mostly go the manual when I need to. I'm sure I'm still missing some features.

Let's be honest. Who has time to actually sit down for a spell and RTFM?
    Becket, Massachusetts