Close

Thread: EDL Crash

1. Default EDL Crash

Hi,

I've got an EDL immediately closing SawStudio upon attempted opening, even renamed the VST Plugin folder and created a new one. Session created in 5.7, modified in 5.8a.

Anything else to try?

Scott

Default Re: EDL Crash

Any system changes since the last time the EDL was opened? OS updates, other software, hardware?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Try opening an undo file - most recent first (except the little one, that may be .u00).

Delete or rename the default preferences file? Fresh install of SAW?

Might be time for a call to Bob. Last time I had such an issue, he found a bug, as hidden as it was after 20+ years.

The weird thing is that sometimes suddenly even all the undos won't open. I've never gotten my head around that.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

5. Default Re: EDL Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Delete or rename the default preferences file? Fresh install of SAW?

Might be time for a call to Bob. Last time I had such an issue, he found a bug, as hidden as it was after 20+ years.

The weird thing is that sometimes suddenly even all the undos won't open. I've never gotten my head around that.
    I was at this same point with a session maybe 15 years ago; Bob ended up opening it and sorting something through.

I'm at the same point you were with a session...suddenly can't open any of the undos on the laptop I was working on.

-s
    Last edited by Scott Anthony; 09-16-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Scott,

I had something similar early in my win10 experience.

Try renaming your entire sawstudio folder - then do a fresh install I would expect that to work fine. then you can copy your audio & edls back to the new install. if it works, your fine - if not you may have to look at windows file permissions and the advanced tab between your new (assuming I'm correct about it working) and old edls.

John

Edit I re-read your original post - you can open other edls? Anyway if the edls originated on a different machine or OS upgrade that could still be the issue. I think I may have created my original problem by copying studio from a backup of a different machine then installing saw or an upgrade over that - but I guess the new version didn't overwrite the permissions when it replaced components - or didn't like permissions of the edls or plugins untouched by the installer. Anyway that was the waste of a couple of days
    Last edited by jmh; 09-16-2021 at 07:40 AM.

7. Default Re: EDL Crash

Good suggestion with the reinstall, no luck. Yes, other edls are opening fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Scott,

I had something similar early in my win10 experience.

Try renaming your entire sawstudio folder - then do a fresh install I would expect that to work fine. then you can copy your audio & edls back to the new install. if it works, your fine - if not you may have to look at windows file permissions and the advanced tab between your new (assuming I'm correct about it working) and old edls.

John

Edit I re-read your original post - you can open other edls? Anyway if the edls originated on a different machine or OS upgrade that could still be the issue. I think I may have created my original problem by copying studio from a backup of a different machine then installing saw or an upgrade over that - but I guess the new version didn't overwrite the permissions when it replaced components - or didn't like permissions of the edls or plugins untouched by the installer. Anyway that was the waste of a couple of days

8. Default Re: EDL Crash

The "corrupted" edl seems to be looking for a wav with as file extension that never existed. Instead of .wav, the new version for the one file wans "*.@^"

But it isn't ^, it's another arrow I've not seen in a file name.

Good day,

I would never, ever rely upon "undo " files...

This is why for those applications that permit it...I disable such usage.

I much prefer "versioning" schemes rather than relying upon the use of such "band-aids".

Scott...maybe provide us with some of your filenames?

Note: According to the SAW Help...Menu reference Guide > Edit Menu > Set EDL Undo Levels...it states, "Regarding setting undo levels:It is recommended that undo levels be set to a reasonable number like 10 or 20 to avoid creating large numbers of history files for each of your EDLs and using up valuable hard drive space unnecessarily. In most cases, the EDL condition has changed significantly after 10-20 manipulations, most likely making it meaningless to recover an EDL beyond that level."
    Last edited by mr_es335; 09-17-2021 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Update