Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can SS output more than 48 audio channels?

Curious if there's a way to have SS output to more than 48 audio channels (24 stereo return tracks). Would adding SAC do it? I downloaded the SAC64 demo and it looks like there are 60 stereo output devices available in SAC, but still 24 output tracks. Is there a way to route SS tracks to the 60 stereo outputs in SAC?

My use case is outputting SS tracks to a console and I need more than 48 output channels available. As far as the physical I/O, I have an RME MADI FX card currently feeding 96 I/O of conversion.

Thanks!
    Michael

Default Re: Can SS output more than 48 audio channels?

SAC has 25 ganged/linked consoles. Each console can independently output 8 master stereo outs. That's 8x25 or 200 stereo outputs. it would require some careful routing across all 25 consoles, but you could output any SawStudio track/channel, to any of the 200 output channels.

If I'm not mistaken, SawStudio can output directly to 48 stereo outputs. so that's actually 96 channels.

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Last edited by cgrafx; 10-23-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    SAC has 25 ganged/linked consoles. Each console can independently output 8 master stereo outs. That's 8x25 or 200 stereo outputs. it would require some careful routing across all 25 consoles, but you could output any SawStudio track/channel, to any of the 200 output channels.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to go through the SAC manual to figure out that routing.

If I'm not mistaken, SawStudio can output directly to 48 stereo outputs. so that's actually 96 channels.
    It looks like there are 24 stereo outputs available in SS. The Audio Device Setup menu has options for Wave Device Out 1 - 24, while the same menu in SAC has options for Wave Device Out 1 - 60. I only have the demo for SS64 and SAC64, not sure if that makes a difference?

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Just outputting tracks directly to mix/sum on a console.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Naz View Post
    It looks like there are 24 stereo outputs available in SS. The Audio Device Setup menu has options for Wave Device Out 1 - 24, while the same menu in SAC has options for Wave Device Out 1 - 60. I only have the demo for SS64 and SAC64, not sure if that makes a difference?
    Yes, looks like your correct. When I checked my studio system earlier I thought I saw 48 outputs, but I just double checked and its 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Naz View Post
    Just outputting tracks directly to mix/sum on a console.
    Not judging, but I'm always curious what exactly people are looking/hoping for by mixing/summing on an analog console.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 10-24-2021 at 01:43 AM.
    Philip G.

Use SAC in place of your console and you can directly route chan per chan from SAWStudio into SAC for a live mix without the need for a hardware console... the results are actually better quality... and you can also use the 24 monitor mixers at the same time for other mixes.

You have 120 input chans to route all SAW 120 chans directly... then mix away with all the eq, gates and comps that you want to use... including hundreds of plugin processors... its time to forget the hardware consoles.

Bob L

Turns out this doesn't limit what you're trying to do, here, gents; but to set the record straight, SS is only capable of 24 discrete output channels (12 stereo devices), not 48. Have a look at the Audio Device Setup dialogue. Unless I'm missing something.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Turns out this doesn't limit what you're trying to do, here, gents; but to set the record straight, SS is only capable of 24 discrete output channels (12 stereo devices), not 48. Have a look at the Audio Device Setup dialogue. Unless I'm missing something.
    Hi Dave,

yes, your missing the page down arrow on the Audio Device Setup Dialog. There are two pages of 12 stereo assignments. 24 stereo outputs or 48 channels.
    Philip G.

I'm getting up to speed with the SAC and SAC-Link capabilities. It looks like it does what I was looking for (and then some!), enabling outputting SS tracks on up to 120 (60 stereo) hardware output channels.

Not judging, but I'm always curious what exactly people are looking/hoping for by mixing/summing on an analog console.
    I have a large outboard gear collection and it's really more about integrating that gear into the mix process, which is generally easier when the tracks are sent out to the gear and then summed in analog. I do have a couple of summing mixers (like the Nicerizer) that bring a nice analog flavor and can be pushed like old school consoles, but it's really more about integrating outboard gear than the actual summing. Mixing is just easier and more fun for me when I integrate my gear.

I generally hate the mixing workflow of modern DAWs, zillions of tiny buttons, opening and closing plugin windows etc to do simple things, etc. I've always liked the SS user interface, I think my feelings about how the mouse/keyboard interface should work aligns with Bob's, and want to try mixing with just the SS channel strip, outboard gear, and maybe a few FX plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Use SAC in place of your console and you can directly route chan per chan from SAWStudio into SAC for a live mix without the need for a hardware console... the results are actually better quality... and you can also use the 24 monitor mixers at the same time for other mixes.

You have 120 input chans to route all SAW 120 chans directly... then mix away with all the eq, gates and comps that you want to use... including hundreds of plugin processors... its time to forget the hardware consoles.

Bob L
    Hi Bob, I know your feelings about analog consoles! Like I said above it's really more about integrating outboard gear than using a console for summing. My dream would be for SS to have a hardware insert function, which would be inserted in the plugin list and have a 'ping' function to calculate and compensate for the round trip delay. Then I could stay in the SS environment and integrate outboard gear as if they were plugins. It's how I work in other DAWs, but I'd rather be working in SS.

SAWStudio does have the ability to send FX to outboard gear and return with latency compensation... look at the aux send and return options... you can send to an output device and return into an input device.

No inserts on individual channels though.

Bob L