Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can SS output more than 48 audio channels?

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Hi Dave,

yes, your missing the page down arrow on the Audio Device Setup Dialog. There are two pages of 12 stereo assignments. 24 stereo outputs or 48 channels.
    How do you like that? (Very much, thank you.) 24 total did seem a little light for SS Full. Thanks for setting me straight, Philip. (Although I'm thinking that I knew this at some point. Don't ever get old.)
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 10-26-2021 at 06:33 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    SAWStudio does have the ability to send FX to outboard gear and return with latency compensation... look at the aux send and return options... you can send to an output device and return into an input device.

No inserts on individual channels though.

Bob L
    I do know about using the aux send and returns for integrating outboard gear, but would need more than the six available, and also need the aux's for FX (reverb, delay, etc) returns.

And an advantage to having plugin style hardware inserts on the channels is that you can use them pre-fader, so track volume automation happens after the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Naz View Post
    I do know about using the aux send and returns for integrating outboard gear, but would need more than the six available, and also need the aux's for FX (reverb, delay, etc) returns.

And an advantage to having plugin style hardware inserts on the channels is that you can use them pre-fader, so track volume automation happens after the insert.
    You might try two of JMS' free aux send/return plug-in as an insert at a channel's pre-fader FX position. I haven't really thought it through, let alone tried it, but my first thought would be sending from there (from instance #1) to an output bus/track, where you'd patch a receiving instance (#2) that would then carry the signal to a hardware output (assigned on the output bus/track). Then return the hardware signal to an SS hardware input on a mixer input channel on which it's been selected at the top of the strip. This channel/track would be used solely for another patched aux/return module (#3) (unless you want to keep the return on this dedicated input/track for it's own additional processing and/or another way to mix this wet with the original source's dry) to send the signal to your original insert return point (instance #4). Note that each separate plug-in send/return run is dedicated to one of the plug-in's separate internal buses.

Unless I've overlooked something, it should work. The only concern would be latency. Jon says on the site that returning to a lower-numbered channel will induce one buffer of latency. He doesn't say what happens if you go from an output channel back to an input channel, but I'm guessing there would be latency there, too. That said, JMS also has a latency compensation plug-in that might be helpful, if the latency matters to you.

Caveats: 1) The JMS plug-ins were written (way back when) for 32-bit SAWStudio, so unless you can talk Jon into porting any of his stuff to 64-bits, you'll have to use SS32. And I'm not sure when the last time was that someone around here communicated with Jon. But my guess is he's busy with other stuff at this point. That said, ya never know what he might be up for. 2) There was another caveat that occurred to me while writing the above, but now it's left me. Watch this space.

I'd be interested to hear if this works out for you. If you need any help troubleshooting, let us know.

You know what would be very cool (and, potentially, dare I say, lucrative)? For someone like Jon to create a SS native plug-in bridge of some kind, converting for use between the two SAWStudios. A la jBridge.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts