Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: M keyboard shortcut in MT?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Oh hey! Thanks for the clarification, Bob - and for digging in to find it in the help file, Dave!

It still doesn't seem to be something I'd use much, since I'm usually selecting regions to the right of my cuts (and not to the left). But still, very useful, I'm sure and really good to have a refresher on the technique.
    One application I can think of is when editing a voice-over and wanting to take out all the breaths (which I do a lot, actually). That said, it's actually quicker to just do U or R every other edit, since that precludes the need for the extra steps of going into select mode and hitting delete.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    One application I can think of is when editing a voice-over and wanting to take out all the breaths (which I do a lot, actually). That said, it's actually quicker to just do U or R every other edit, since that precludes the need for the extra steps of going into select mode and hitting delete.
    Although I'm not doing voice-overs, I know what you mean. Just remember that whenever you use R to complete an edit, that you are creating a new region (which may appeal to you). I try to avoid using R and will go to extra steps if needed most of the time - trimming back a region with U as many times as needed (since sometimes I accidently trim off the wrong end, if the U is placed past the halfway point of the region length in the wrong direction).

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Although I'm not doing voice-overs, I know what you mean. Just remember that whenever you use R to complete an edit, that you are creating a new region (which may appeal to you). I try to avoid using R and will go to extra steps if needed most of the time - trimming back a region with U as many times as needed (since sometimes I accidently trim off the wrong end, if the U is placed past the halfway point of the region length in the wrong direction).
    You may want to return to R and alt-R when you're not sure if U will do what you want. That's what I do. I just tried it out and saw no new regions being created with the use of the R key. Can you confirm this?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    You may want to return to R and alt-R when you're not sure if U will do what you want. That's what I do. I just tried it out and saw no new regions being created with the use of the R key. Can you confirm this?
    Dave, just confirmed:
    "R" Creates new region
    "Alt+R" Does NOT create new region

However, Alt+LeftClickDrag does NOT create a new region while doing so on either side of a region.

But thanks to your reminder of Alt+R", I can now half my region counts of breath edits (instead of using K and deleting new region to right)... simply use "Alt+R"
    (a left handed thumb twister... but quick).
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Dave, just confirmed:
    "R" Creates new region
    "Alt+R" Does NOT create new region

However, Alt+LeftClickDrag does NOT create a new region while doing so on either side of a region.

But thanks to your reminder of Alt+R", I can now half my region counts of breath edits (instead of using K and deleting new region to right)... simply use "Alt+R"
    (a left handed thumb twister... but quick).
    Huh? Can you try R again, Carl? I'm watching my region count (title bar of the regions window) as I repeatedly hit the R key, lopping off chunks of a region entry in the MT over and over, and the number does not change.
    Becket, Massachusetts

R changes the region's name, and keeps doing so when repeated; however, SAW appears to "forget" the previous region each time, so the region count doesn't increase. U leaves the region's name intact, which can be useful if you're trying to maintain region numbering.

Quote Originally Posted by andy cross View Post
    R changes the region's name, and keeps doing so when repeated; however, SAW appears to "forget" the previous region each time, so the region count doesn't increase. U leaves the region's name intact, which can be useful if you're trying to maintain region numbering.
    Nice detective work, Andy.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Is increasing the region count a concern? Just to keep things neat and tidy (which I don't seem to care about in other areas of life), I delete unused regions at the end of editing a narration or other VO session. But I don't worry about it during the edit.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Is increasing the region count a concern? Just to keep things neat and tidy (which I don't seem to care about in other areas of life), I delete unused regions at the end of editing a narration or other VO session. But I don't worry about it during the edit.
    Only if you're caching region data, and the number of regions can't be supported by your system's RAM capacity, I'd think. Even then, though, how bad could it be?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by andy cross View Post
    Thanks for the Clarification, Andy!
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com