Close

Default Region Amount Limitations

I'm into an involved project with, now, 1720 regions (of varying lengths).
    And yes, I've used "Clear Unused Regions".

My two questions are:
    1. What is the comfortable 'max' amount of regions a session can have before it starts to bog down the operation of the session?
    (given that my Undo number is set to 20)

2. What operations of a session does a large region count affect most?

I'm 3/4 finished with the project. I could break sections off to different sub projects, but would prefer to keep the same project for quicker Multi-track editing purposes.
    Last edited by Carl G.; 11-09-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Default Re: Region Amount Limitations

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    I'm into an involved project with, now, 1720 regions (of varying lengths).
    And yes, I've used "Clear Unused Regions".

My two questions are:
    1. What is the comfortable 'max' amount of regions a session can have before it starts to bog down the operation of the session?
    (given that my Undo number is set to 20)

2. What operations of a session does a large region count affect most?

I'm 3/4 finished with the project. I could break sections off to different sub projects, but would prefer to keep the same project for quicker Multi-track editing purposes.
    Just spit-ballin', here, but I'd think you could go into the thousands before noticing anything. And even then, I'm not so sure you would.

Now, if you're caching region audio data, it's likely a different story and would depend on how much RAM you have and your relevant settings in SAW.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Hey Carl,

I'm curious about the reason for the question. Are you getting bogged down? Or just want to avoid it?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Just spit-ballin', here, but I'd think you could go into the thousands before noticing anything. And even then, I'm not so sure you would.

Now, if you're caching region audio data, it's likely a different story and would depend on how much RAM you have and your relevant settings in SAW.
    Using Region Peak Data Caching... but region caching is turned off.
    I have plenty of RAM...
    I was getting a slight delay in Undo operation... (I'm only talking less than a second) and wondered if it had something to do with amount of regions.
    Like Ian, I normally delete unused regions often... but was in a month long project and wanted to keep all parts of till final mixdown.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I was having delay opening edls and it turned out it was due to a plugin. I had started using waves and by changing the port (and drive letter) my license was in, I guess it sped up the system's search.

The undos are just snapshots of the edl which get reopened when the undo is invoked. I don't know if all of the plugins get reinitialized as I was just opening new edls, but it may be something to consider if you want to recoop all those second fractions. For that matter, the reopening may reinitialize the cached data - or at just reread the wpds into ram. Without diving into the manual, it may be that peak cashing means utilizing the wpd files rather than re-rendering that data from the wavs on the fly when loading an edl.

At work it may take 10 or 15 minutes to fire up a machine, and noted long times to open whatever behemoth application - orders of magnitude of 'saw time' on my non-internetted recording rig.