Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anybody using Win 11?

cgrafx,
    As long as that system does what you need it to do, then there is no reason to upgrade...
    ...Agreed!
    Additionally if you want to move to 64-bit the landscape for support at some point is going to force a move to Win10/11
    ...Also...agreed!

LTSC's cannot be upgraded! Nice feature as far as I am concerned.

And just for curiosity...has the theoretical limit of audio production been reached? I mean, what audio quality is being heard through "ear buds"?

Si the "general" audience really-and-truly able to discern the use of one plug-in over another? Or one DAW over another?

I have a customer that own a lots of car...Corvettes - he had just purchased one the 1000HP ZR1's. He also own a Ferrari. He has commented many, many times, "Nice car...just no real place to drive it!"

David Rubio - now deceased, built one of the lightest nylon-strung guitars ever made. The only person to be able to truly play that guitar was Julian Bream - also, deceased.

At $6000.00 back in 1978, I was at a Bream Master Class wherein he permitted one of the top students to play that guitar. His performance on that guitar was no where near the quality of Mr. Bream's!

The point, sometimes more...is just more...not necessarily better!

My opinion...I know!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post

So what would be the advantage for me to move to WIN11?

Just curious!
    Well, I wasn't trying to start a fight, but an answer might be: "So that I can use my computer for other stuff besides audio in 2022." This is, it turns out, my sitch. My studio desktop has always been my everything computer.

But mostly I just thought some might find it good news if they're considering making a move to Win11 at some point.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I have 3 towers and 2 laptops. The newest tower is at least 5 years old. So none of my systems will support W11. ("Click here to take the compatability test!" says the very excited email from Microsoft... Oy vey.)
    At the same time I'm teaching at a school that's pretty much all Mac, and I am sort of over all the "wild west, let's spend the day at Fry's" days, I just want to do my work... so I'm at a tipping point where I'm considering going to the dark side when W11 gets annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    I have 3 towers and 2 laptops. The newest tower is at least 5 years old. So none of my systems will support W11. ("Click here to take the compatability test!" says the very excited email from Microsoft... Oy vey.)
    At the same time I'm teaching at a school that's pretty much all Mac, and I am sort of over all the "wild west, let's spend the day at Fry's" days, I just want to do my work... so I'm at a tipping point where I'm considering going to the dark side when W11 gets annoying.
    Say it ain't so.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Say it ain't so.
    LOL probably not, MS has been decent about backwards compatibility. Their reminders/nags are just getting a bit annoying. So I'm cranky

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    LOL probably not, MS has been decent about backwards compatibility. Their reminders/nags are just getting a bit annoying. So I'm cranky

One word: LTSC
    Becket, Massachusetts

My brother bought a new laptop and opted for Win11. He was very disappointed with the stuff it couldn't do that he was used to with Win10. He didn't get specific but was bummed that he didn't just go with 10 again.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Blog Entries

Biill,

WIN10 may be - what I often refer to as a "downgradable-upgrade" option for him. Check with the vendor.

Thank you, Dell.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Blog Entries

Bill,

I forgot to mention...check the BIOS!

I have noticed that on many...many...of the "new" units, the BIOS dated back to 2017!!

Anything that this pre-2021 would then be - as far as I am concerned, a WIN10 system upgraded to WIN11....for those that "pass the test" that is.

To prove this point, I had a client bring a new laptop, wherein, I checked the BIOS - 2017, pulled the drive and checked the Windows build, which was May 0f 2020, and on completion, the build was upgraded to 21H2 - the last build of WIN10 prior to WIN11.

At this point, I discovered that the system did NOT meet the requirements for the free upgrade to WIN11...a real blessing in disguise...as far as I am concerned.

Hope this helps?