Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anybody using Win 11?

Ian,

1. Windows 10 Home <==Not good!
    2. I can turn off Windows Update for only for limited time periods.
    • With Home edition, yo are unable to disable most things that need to be disabled.

3. I can't get it to stop telling me that Windows Firewall is turned off.|

• I have yet to find a workable solution for this option. V1903 did work...but later versions, do not.

4. There has a considerable amount of information provided in the forum about the LTSC versions of Windows 10.
    • Just perform a search...and thanks to cgrafx for this wonderful tip.
    • Last pricing was $18.89 US.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Ian,

1. Windows 10 Home <==Not good!
    2. I can turn off Windows Update for only for limited time periods.
    • With Home edition, yo are unable to disable most things that need to be disabled.

3. I can't get it to stop telling me that Windows Firewall is turned off.|

• I have yet to find a workable solution for this option. V1903 did work...but later versions, do not.

4. There has a considerable amount of information provided in the forum about the LTSC versions of Windows 10.
    • Just perform a search...and thanks to cgrafx for this wonderful tip.
    • Last pricing was $18.89 US.

Dell,

I really haven't had much trouble with Win 10 Home, but it would be nice to get something more stable. Can you please share a link to LTSC for that price? I found a place to download the OS, but I have no idea if it's legit and I don't know how or where to get a license.

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Blog Entries

Ian,

Here it is: [Click_me]

PS: I have purchased 6 licenses form these folks...all without incident. Also, give a "thumbs up" to cgrafx for this wonderful insight - not the actual location...but for the initial mention of LTSC.

Ian,

Here it is: [Click_me]

PS: I have purchased 6 licenses form these folks...all without incident. Also, give a "thumbs up" to cgrafx for this wonderful insight - not the actual location...but for the initial mention of LTSC.
    I guess they don't always have them available. I searched every different way I could think of, and no Operating Systems of any kind showed up. I'll try every few days and see if it changes.

Thanks!
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Blog Entries

Ian,

These softwares generally become available in May and November. However, if you email Keysworlds and let then know what you are after, they will let you let you know...as they do with me.

PS: They do have WIN11 Pro for $19.00...the real question is "Why?"

Ian,

These softwares generally become available in May and November. However, if you email Keysworlds and let then know what you are after, they will let you let you know...as they do with me.

I emailed them. Thanks for the suggestions. Do you have a preference of 2016, 2019, or 2021?

I would think the only users willing to pay for Win 11 are those who don't already have a free upgrade (cross-grade?) path.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Ian,

The email paid off almost instantly, with a link to a slightly different url: Keysoff.com. A few questions from one who has not played with OS's much at all:

The license available is for Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019. I found and downloaded 2021. Will that work?

The description says, "Notes: CAN'T upgrade from Home system to Pro system, You should download the windows 10 system here first , after you installed it, then to activate the code." Does this mean I have to migrate from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro and then to LTSC?

Will I have to re-install all the software after the OS upgrade?

If I'm thinking about replacing the audio laptop within a year, is this worth doing now?

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post

The description says, "Notes: CAN'T upgrade from Home system to Pro system, You should download the windows 10 system here first , after you installed it, then to activate the code." Does this mean I have to migrate from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro and then to LTSC?

Will I have to re-install all the software after the OS upgrade?

If I'm thinking about replacing the audio laptop within a year, is this worth doing now?

Thanks.
    I have installed LTSC on three of my own computers. I don't know if one can do it as an upgrade. I have always done it as a clean install to a new or wiped drive or partition. That means doing fresh installs of all software, not to mention extensive configuration tweaks for each install. The LTSC download I purchased came with a 20 license limit. I do not know if an older license key can be used with a later download.

As to whether it is worth doing for a system you expect to replace in a year, I would ask, is the machine working well for you now as it is? If you are satisfied with the performance you have now and the machine is stable, you may want to wait. When I went ahead with the upgrade to LTSC, I did not have any scheduled work or deadlines waiting for me, so I could take the time for things like unexpected snags and not worry that it was costing me work time.

Remember also that any laptop you buy comes with a factory OS install. When I decided to re-do the OS on my Lenovo laptop, I had the original HD pulled out and replaced it with a new SSD, which I partitioned so that data files would NOT be on the boot partition (I have done this partitioning with every new computer for the last 20 years or so). If my OS changeover had failed, I could just put the factory HD back in. If I am doing an OS upgrade on an existing computer, I prefer to leave myself the option to revert to the old install with a simple drive swap.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Good day,

As a general "rule of thumb" - in a professional environment - and to be honest, in any environment, never perform an upgrade.

Always begin with a clean install.

Do as Cary suggested - replace the existing drive with a new drive and go from there.

Thanks to both Cary and Dell. Very helpful advice.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com