Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Anybody using Win 11?

i just got a windows 11 computer and Saw Studio won't even start. It comes up with a message "Graphics Initialization Error. " I finally got it working well on Windows 10 so I guess I will use it over there but I would like to use it on what I am now considering my editing computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
    i just got a windows 11 computer and Saw Studio won't even start. It comes up with a message "Graphics Initialization Error. " I finally got it working well on Windows 10 so I guess I will use it over there but I would like to use it on what I am now considering my editing computer.
    SAW opened for me in Windows 11 Pro. Based on the message you are getting, you may want to look at updating your Graphics driver.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    SAW opened for me in Windows 11 Pro. Based on the message you are getting, you may want to look at updating your Graphics driver.
    The sales person in the store stated that if I were to reset my computer to its original state I would have to update the video drivers. I have reset this computer a number of times. I just assumed that when I do windows updates that falls into place. He did however mention that I had to go to something called GE Force experience. I will have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    ... whenever I've tried to move my Windows data folders to a different partition or drive in the past, new data folders eventually, spontaneously appear and fill themselves on the boot drive thereafter. Not sure how to work around that.
    There is a procedure for moving the "desktop" folder and the various "libraries" folders to a non-boot partition, and that is now my normal practice. However, with the installation of whatever new programs/plugins, there are additions to certain OS folders on the boot partition, mainly under the "progrrams" and "programs x86" folders. Some programs have other folders that they insist on placing in the boot partition.

So, as far as I can tell, you can reduce the amount of bloat in the boot partition, but probably cannot completely ELIMINATE it.

I just make the best compromise I can get, and make sure to leave myself a little extra space in the boot partition.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    There is a procedure for moving the "desktop" folder and the various "libraries" folders to a non-boot partition, and that is now my normal practice. However, with the installation of whatever new programs/plugins, there are additions to certain OS folders on the boot partition, mainly under the "progrrams" and "programs x86" folders. Some programs have other folders that they insist on placing in the boot partition.

So, as far as I can tell, you can reduce the amount of bloat in the boot partition, but probably cannot completely ELIMINATE it.

I just make the best compromise I can get, and make sure to leave myself a little extra space in the boot partition.
    its pointless to move programs from the default locations. Keep your data in a separate location, but trying to manipulate windows to store all programs and other files outside their default locations serves absolutely no purpose and is almost 100% guaranteed to create problems somewhere down the road.

It won't make your computer faster, it won't make it easier to backup, it won't do anything but complicate your life.

Windows has never been a mobile OS (I don't mean mobile as in laptop). It expects files and directories to live in very specific locations and messing with those locations will aways create issues. Its not even that there aren't hooks that can make it possible move those locations (because there are), but software developers make assumptions about where those files are going to be and more often then you would like, hard code that information. So even if you have made changes to the windows registries to point somewhere else there is no guarantee that will be honored.

You can't even be sure windows won't reset those registries when they do OS updates and then you end up with a broken computer without knowing specifically why or what to fix.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 03-16-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

FWIW, I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with Win 11 that runs SAWStudio just fine. I have seen that "Graphics Initialization Error" message before on another Win 11 machine, when trying to open a program from the desktop. Opening it from the Start menu, or from within the File Explorer worked just fine.

John Francis
    Rolla, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
    I had an experience copying my old studio folder to an upgraded machine - maybe moving to win10 where the permissions were screwy. The solution was to rename the SawStudio folder, did a fresh SawStudio install (which created a new folder with proper permissions for all files & folders) then copied in my edls and audio into the fresh version of Studio and all was well.

Note that the permissions were not fixed by reinstalling over the existing folder. I forget the particulars, but the original installation may have been on win7 and I thought I was saving time by preserving my earlier setup by copying but instead wound up with a difficult to diagnose problem.

John
    Last edited by jmh; 03-30-2023 at 04:16 AM.