Close

Thread: Remote

Default Remote

Can SAW be operated remotely? I looked at the product downloads and didn't see a SAW remote download.

Thank you,
    Julius

Blog Entries

Default Re: Remote

Julius,

No! SAW cannot be remote controlled...at least...not in the same way or manner as with SAC.

Yes it absolutely can. Its not done with a separate program. SAW Studio has the remote capability built directly into the single application.

From the user manual

Using TCP/IP Master/Slave/Remote Mode

20.1 Using the TCP/IP Options

The TCP/IP functions offer a powerful way to link multiple SAWStudio workstations for the purpose of
    sharing the CPU load, or controlling a Master machine from multiple remote locations. A simple
    Ethernet 100 base-T network running the TCP/IP protocol is all that's needed. One machine is
    designated as the Host/Master machine, and up to eight additional machines may be connected as
    Slaves or Remotes.

A Slave machine maintains its independence for all editing operations. It keeps its own separate
    session copies, and handles audio though its own audio device inputs and outputs. When playback is
    initiated on the Master machine, all Slaves will synchronize their playback start positions through the
    network with no external SMPTE or MTC signals required. This effectively allows you to share
    complex session loads across multiple machines. Each machine is playing audio independently from
    its own soundcard hardware, and therefore needs to be clocked from the same clock source as the
    Master (with Word Clock or something similar) to remain in perfect sync and not drift apart.

A Video-Slave machine acts as a Slave machine, but no longer cares about audio playback or sync...
    it is designed to take its video playback position directly from the Master machine in order to
    guarentee perfect sync lock of the video with the Master. Audio sync is ignored, and generally the edl
    on the Video-Slave should not contain active audio tracks, although audio will play independently and
    can be used as background music if sync is not critical.

A Remote machine operates directly on the Master machine session, and does not keep its own
    session copy locally. It also does not utilize its own audio device, as the Master machine is the only
    machine generating audio output. The Remote machine can be used as a sophisticated remote
    control device, operating the Master machine from a separate location.

All TCP/IP options will save with the Preferences. If the Preferences are saved with one of the TCP/IP
    Host, Remote or Slave modes active, the connection will automatically be attempted when the
    program first starts.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Julius.

Forgive me...SAW does have Remote capabilities!

When in doubt...always refer to the manual...unless you...?

PS: My I ask...why did not read the manual that at the outset? I mean...Options > TCP/IP Options...it is all there!!!!!

From the manual...

"Using Online Help
    The SAWStudio helpfile is carefully written and very useful once you spend some time with it. In fact, it is strongly recommended that you take a couple hours to read (or at least browse) the entire file using the Next and Previous options at the top of the helpfile pages. The time you'll spend reading the helpfile will easily be made up for when you find your sessions are requiring less and less time because you've expanded your knowledge base of the program and can move much quicker.
    "

Friends,

Thank you for this response. It has been very helpful.

A question was asked about reading the manual. Given the time I've had available, being a Logic Pro user, and coupled with not being familiar at all with the Windows environment it has taken us about 5 months to get SAC and our system up and running and to be comfortable enough to use it for streaming our church service. Reading the manual was a tremendous help. We've had SAW installed the whole time and are just getting familiar with using it. The curve with SAW has been easier because we are now familiar with the environment, and therefore are able to intuit some of the answers. A friend and I are working through this together, and there have been many times in the process of reading through the manual when I've read a section out loud and then said, "I don't understand a single thing I just read." This is NOT at all a reflection on how the manual is written, rather it is the realization that teaching, at any level, must make a baseline assumptions of the basic readiness, understanding and paradigms that the students enters with.

One of the assumptions I had was that the SAW remote would work in the same way the SAC remote did, and it would involve downloading a special remote program. I'm glad to learn that SAW can be operated remotely, and I'm thankful for this forum and you all for pointing me in the right direction. You saved me a lot of time.

I'm loving these programs!

All the best,
    Julius

FWIW...

Before you get too deep into SAW's built-in remotability, I suggest looking at what your specific needs are. You may be better served to simply use generic remote control software (Windows Remote Destop, Chrome Remote Desktop, Team Viewer, etc.) In my admittedly limited experience using SAW's inherent remote functionality, it was not completely smooth sailing. There's the learning curve, then there's determining a sequence of steps for your particular setup to get consistent success. I never did get to the consistent success part. YMMV. It's quite possible I was just "doing it wrong."
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts