Close

Default OT - Noise cancelling headphones

Hey there friends-

Wondering if anyone has any experience with noise cancelling headphones. I'm curious if this is a viable option for recording/editing spoken word when outside the studio environment.

Thanks
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Default Re: OT - Noise cancelling headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Hey there friends-

Wondering if anyone has any experience with noise cancelling headphones. I'm curious if this is a viable option for recording/editing spoken word when outside the studio environment.

Thanks
    I would think anything would work, so long as you're not mixing or EQing or doing any critical adjustments like that. When I have to mute the speakers cuz my wife's around, I'll go to an old pair of Radio Shack behind-the-head lightweight earphones for editing and even for simple music-bed-under-voice-over mixing for podcasts. Not noise-cancelling, but the point being I'm not particularly worried about some of the subtler/more critical aspects that would otherwise come into play.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 11-22-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: OT - Noise cancelling headphones

I've edited VO on headphones or laptop speakers to chop out the pickups and get all the right takes in the right order. If the headphones are good and the setting is quiet, I'm done. But if there's background noise or it's just laptop speakers, I'll listen again for mouth noises, weird breaths, etc. My experience with noise-cancelling headphones is with a pretty inexpensive pair. The processing affects the sound of the content and adds anomalies, so I would at least spot check a project edited that way on decent phones or monitors. Maybe more expensive NC models are cleaner.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com