Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Export Tracks to Soundfiles with Processing ??

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Be aware that if you have two tracks with the same name, the earlier one will be overwritten by the later one. I have forgotten this a number of times and had tracks missing after transferring them to another facility.
    Oh! Don't I know that one!!
    That got me in so much trouble in the past, that I'm extra cautious to make note of my track names before doing any sort of build mix and/or exporting these days. I do still have a tendency to initially use the same names as I'm in a hurry to identify tracks sometimes. But i ultimately end up having to go in and change those darned things - I should just learn the lesson, wouldn't you think?
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 11-19-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    You could get individual tracks that you need as stereo in the build mix step too.
    Yes - I caught that about midway through the first set of songs and went back to rebuild a few to mono that didn't need to be stereo. Got to remember to change back to stereo afterwards, within the same session...

I think the default mono or stereo assignment in the build mix operation actually depends on whatever was used last in that session. In this case, the last build mix I performed on this batch of songs happened to be stereo.... that is, unless I'm mistaken.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 11-19-2021 at 08:24 AM.

One more thought (again off the cuff, so this may be wrong). If you are exporting, the new file is only as long as the end of the last (selected) region, so if you are doing processed output, you might want a region of silence to extend the track long enough to capture reverb tails...

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    One more thought (again off the cuff, so this may be wrong). If you are exporting, the new file is only as long as the end of the last (selected) region, so if you are doing processed output, you might want a region of silence to extend the track long enough to capture reverb tails...
    Absolutely!
    You find that out quick if you play a single selected (blackened track number)track with delay or reverb and there's nothing beyond the last region in that track (unless the fx is prefader, that is).

Yes. I always place a row of blank regions at the end of every track to make sure all the tails are generated in the files.
    Michael McInnis Productions

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of setting up the separate outputs as suggested in this thread in order to render all the various tracks' buildmixes in a single pass. I would think this would be a way to get the aux info built into each. Don't forget to set all the outputs back too how they were when you're done, though. :-)
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    It might be more trouble than it's worth, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of setting up the separate outputs as suggested in this thread in order to render all the various tracks' buildmixes in a single pass. I would think this would be a way to get the aux info built into each. Don't forget to set all the outputs back too how they were when you're done, though. :-)
    I agree that it might not be worth the trouble in this case, since I decided against it (ha).
    But I did consider it, because it does work pretty slick.
    In this case, I had to render tracks for 14 songs, each in their own session folder.
    It just seemed to be an easier task to render each individual track and/or stem and amuse myself by watching the progress bar.

LOL, as the kids say.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Actually (and this may make a difference in whether or not it's worth the effort), what am I thinking? You don't have to return everything back to how it was with the output settings. Just close the EDL, perhaps after saving a spin-off copy, and the next time you open up the original, all will be right with the world. :-)
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Actually (and this may make a difference in whether or not it's worth the effort), what am I thinking? You don't have to return everything back to how it was with the output settings. Just close the EDL, perhaps after saving a spin-off copy, and the next time you open up the original, all will be right with the world. :-)
    Absolutely a great idea! (as long as your computer doesn't thrash and wail and crash randomly and unexpectedly, like this beast of mine has begun doing over the past 3 months...... if I can just get past my one looming project before going crazy, I can begin the hunt for a replacement.)

I actually like working in the pc world and generally find people's resistance to recording on a pc to be puzzling.... I've just run into a string of bad, misbehaved little beasts in the past 2 years....... It all really started when I tried to switch to Win10 on a pc that didn't have enough pci slots for my precious RME Multiface cards and then my switch back to Win7 (which I have grown to appreciate almost as much as I had XP) on a couple of (what turned out to be) clunker machines.

My plan is to find a suitable replacement over the downtime this winter and start the process of reloading it with the necessary programs and tweaks, so it will run as well as the pc I had 3 years ago... I just need 2-3 pci slots and enough ram for the ever-increasing demands of the silly, necessary plugins I'm becoming accustomed to. Fortunately, there's a trusty computer liquidator nearby, operated by a friendly and helpful guy, so the search will be enjoyable, I think.