Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quirky Export Track Behavior Needs Verifying

So... After replacing my unreliable pc today with (thankfully) a working unit of the same brand and model (what a relief to simply swap out the power supply, drives and ram and be back up and running!), I went back to work on exporting more tracks in a second session. It's here that I noticed some peculiar behavior and would sure like some verification, before I claim a bug in SAW. I haven't gone back and checked exports from the previous sessions yet...... more on that later.

Here's what I did and what happened:
    1- I pulled up a session with multiple tracks of many lengths and many edits, so that I could generate contiguous individual tracks.

2a- I blackened all the track/channels I wanted to export and used Shift/End to mark the entire length of the session.
    (2b- I had previously placed a single blank region a couple of seconds past the end of the longest track to be sure that all tails and fades were accounted for when building the mix file and that worked fine, as expected)

3- I chose Export Tracks To Soundfiles With Mixer Processing from the Process/Mixdown Menu, gave it a folder and title and let it do its thing.

4- Afterwards, I imported some of the files into the same session onto some empty tracks.
    It's here that I noticed that they didn't seem to be all the same length as the originals - and sure enough, the ones I checked were all around 375ms short.
    The ones that originally had a crossfade at the end of the region (using "X" to get a quick and natural fade, as I so often successfully do), were short that much more, not having used the fade at all.

I was about to report a bug and ask for some of you to verify my results, but then decided to start over.
    This time, I placed a blank region in the same timeline position a couple seconds past the end of the session and on every single track. I then did the exports again and this time it all went as I thought it should in the first place.

I haven't had time to try the whole thing in a test session, without blank regions on every track, because I'm still busy in this one session for another day or so. But I think it would be really helpful to see what results some of you get, trying what I've outline.

Would somebody(s) please try when you can and report what happens?

Default Re: Quirky Export Track Behavior Needs Verifying

Do not mark the track length... each track should then process its entire length including ending softedges.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Do not mark the track length... each track should then process its entire length including ending softedges.

Bob L
    Okay - I will try that out today.

If there are plugins, you will still need a blank region past the end of the track information on every track or reverb tails echos etc won’t render.
    Michael McInnis Productions