Close

Default Session length limit?

Recently my wife wanted and 8 hour rain recording as a sleep aid. She found a video she liked and downloaded the sound file. But there was about 25 minutes of speaking that she wanted cut out. No problem, I said. Huh. I converted to a .wav file, loaded it into SawStudiio, chopped off the offending speech at the beginning, and then used vari speed to pitch down the file and get a full 8 hours again. (for some reason the original file played at too high a pitch) I did a build mix, that the file that came out was just over on hour long, although it did play at the correct pitch. I shortened the session to 4 hours, rendered it, and as a 4 hour file it worked fine. My wife still wanted 8 hours. So I loaded the 4 hour processed file back into SS, spliced on another copy, and the resulting build mix file was 8 hours long, but would not play past about 1 hour. In order to get the 8 hour file, I had to load the processed 4 hour file into a different DAW application and splice a copy onto it. This worked.

So, did I miss something? Is there a length limit beyond which SS just says "nope, not doing that"?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: Session length limit?

Yes... there is a limit due to the use of a 32 bit dword for timeline position... a single file should be kept roughly below the 4 hour limit, depending on samplerate and resolution.

But... you should be able to create up to a 24 hour timeline and I believe you should be able to create the buildmix file... but you will not be able to play it in SAWStudio on the timeline once its past that about 4 hour mark.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Cary,

Android phones have a "slick" sleep apps - "Sleep Sounds", that plays continuously. Just started using it...works great.

Quite a variety of sounds that can be "mixed-and-matched".
    Last edited by mr_es335; 12-09-2021 at 07:29 AM.

I would think a few short regions and some automation you should be able to get up to 8 hrs pretty quick. Although the discerning REM state brain might call you on it...

After she calls you out on it, you could have a powershell script that relinks the wav files every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Yes... there is a limit due to the use of a 32 bit dword for timeline position... a single file should be kept roughly below the 4 hour limit, depending on samplerate and resolution.

But... you should be able to create up to a 24 hour timeline and I believe you should be able to create the buildmix file... but you will not be able to play it in SAWStudio on the timeline once its past that about 4 hour mark.

Bob L
    Oh, I can create the longer time line, but cannot by any means output an audio file more than 4 hours long. SS will seem to render a long file than that, but will not play it much past the first hour.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I would think a few short regions and some automation you should be able to get up to 8 hrs pretty quick. Although the discerning REM state brain might call you on it...

After she calls you out on it, you could have a powershell script that relinks the wav files every day.
    I tried pasting shorter regions together in SS, but you can't output longer than a 4 hour file. So I had to make a 4 hour file, put it in another DAW, paste two of it together, and that's how I got my 8 hour file.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

Android phones have a "slick" sleep apps - "Sleep Sounds", that plays continuously. Just started using it...works great.

Quite a variety of sounds that can be "mixed-and-matched".
    My wife was very specific about the exact source sound she wanted. Also, the setup now playing the sound does not include a smart phone. i tinkered with the sound file and the equipment setup until both met her requirements, all working with just "found materials" that I had not been using.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"