Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Need Ideas for connecting 24-ch of analog preamps to non-pci interfaces

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    UTD,

One approach would be to pick up a used Digiface and use your Multiface boxes as stand-alone AD/DA for it. It's not a perfect approach, but maybe you'd find it workable. Check this thread out:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=9630
    I was going to suggest similar or else an HDSP(e) 9652 (pci OR pcie) with the Multifaces standalone.

Default Re: Need Ideas for connecting 24-ch of analog preamps to non-pci interfaces

The new RME USB Digiface is a great solution... a small box with 32 chans of adat connectivity... works on a laptop or pc with usb connection.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    The new RME USB Digiface is a great solution... a small box with 32 chans of adat connectivity... works on a laptop or pc with usb connection.

Bob L

Agreed. I built mine into my pc case so it does not take any additional space in the rack. It sits in the CD bay area. Works a treat, could not be happier with a successor of my old Digiface.
    But the Presonus preamps of UpTilDawn do not have AD/DA converters, no ADAT I/O. So he would have to move to a different model preamps, or some kind of additional AD/DA devices.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Quote Originally Posted by AntonZ View Post
    Agreed. I built mine into my pc case so it does not take any additional space in the rack. It sits in the CD bay area. Works a treat, could not be happier with a successor of my old Digiface.
    But the Presonus preamps of UpTilDawn do not have AD/DA converters, no ADAT I/O. So he would have to move to a different model preamps, or some kind of additional AD/DA devices.
    He has three Multiface units. A couple of us have suggested using them standalone for the AD/DA.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-02-2022 at 05:43 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I'm finding myself up against the need to replace my once-trusty pci-based desktop pc with 3 pci card slots, combined with 3 RME Multiface units and pci cards. I've got a couple possible replacement pcs - a Lenovo with 3 pcie slots, or a Dell with one pci and one pcie slot - both are Intel i7 machines and I've already confirmed that they could possibly replace the flaky pc.

My question is - how best to keep my 24 channels of Presonus M80 preamps and connect them to a system that will force me to possibly abandon my trusty RME Multifaces? Or am I overlooking some alternative system revamp that will get me 24 channels of quality pci preamps into one of these 2 pc options at a cost that won't break the bank?

I guess that's really at least 2 questions...
    But this is really beginning to stress me out, since I've been wrestling with a pc that just isn't cutting it anymore, for nearly a year now. I really would like to keep the M80 preamps if possible, because they have served me very well and I know I can't afford to actually upgrade 24 channels worth of preamps up the next quality notch.
    Question why is this happening, is it software or hardware causing the problem?

He has three Multiface units. A coupe of us have suggested using them standalone for the AD/DA.
    You are correct Dave. I missed that one, apologies for that. Yes with that in mind it seems indeed that the addition of an RME Digiface USB is a simple and straight forward solution. It is a lovely little box, with the exceptional quality drivers that comes with RME devices.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I'm currently waiting for slow delivery of a pair of rme pcie cards to try with the multiface. I'm wondering, can anyone tell me whether or not I can combine 2 pcie cards and 1 pci card in this computer in order to get back to 24 channels (with my 3 multiface boxes)?

If this will work without any complaints from the system, then maybe I will have all that I need to get up and running soon.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
    And thanks much for all the helpful suggestions so far!

A little googling seems to indicate that you can use two PCIe cards, but not more than one PCI card. And I'm thinking that means you can't use the PCI with the PCIe cards. You can also use stand-alone mode for any Multiface (running it's ADAT out into one of the other Multifaces' ADAT in to add its channels) for which you can't make a card work, but that appears to be a bit of a PITA to do. At least this is my impression.

I think the best thing you could do is call Synthax and/or get on the RME forum for help. I was on there about a year ago; Matthias Carstens (RME co-founder) was still at it, and he answered my questions.

Why not ask Mr. RME himself rather than rely on us yahoos?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

A little googling seems to indicate that you can use two PCIe cards, but not more than one PCI card. And I'm thinking that means you can't use the PCI with the PCIe cards. You can also use stand-alone mode for any Multiface (running it's ADAT out into one of the other Multifaces' ADAT in to add its channels) for which you can't make a card work, but that appears to be a bit of a PITA to do. At least this is my impression.

I think the best thing you could do is call Synthax and/or get on the RME forum for help. I was on there about a year ago; Matthias Carstens (RME co-founder) was still at it, and he answered my questions.

Why not ask Mr. RME himself rather than rely on us yahoos?
    I was going to do just as you've suggested, Dave, but got caught up in other details over and over again.

SUCCESS!

At least at the preliminary level....

Tried pci and pcie cards together and they appear to have no complaints. The software even recognized the pci card all on its own, without my having to install the driver separately... this was after already installing and testing a pair of pcie cards.

So it looks like I can go back to 24 channels of analog pres, if I decide to. I can actually connect at least 2-3 ADAT multichannel preamps as well, should I decide to incorporate an unused preamp rack I normally use for small location recording - that's because those Multiface boxes each have a single ADAT input, besides the 8 analog trs jacks.

Next stage is to get everything else installed on this pc, so I can get back to work. SAW and SAC installations so far were such a breeze, as usual. I have so much more appreciation for these wonderful tools everytime I'm faced with altering or building a new system...... got to love it.