Close

Default OT: A Waves virgin's questions

Can someone please confirm that Waves v12.7 plugs are working in SS64? I know there's a special way to make 'em work. But are they still working?

Also: there appears to be a crazy sale going on ($30 plugins and crazy cheap bundles) as well as a buy-two-get-one-free promotion. Seems foolish not to buy at least a bundle right now. Is this something they do every year? And when will v13 come out, anyone know?

Also: is there any reason to go through a vendor instead of direct from Waves?

As you were.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-03-2022 at 11:36 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: OT: A Waves virgin's questions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Can someone please confirm that Waves v12.7 plugs are working in SS64? I know there's a special way to make 'em work. But are they still working?

Also: there appears to be a crazy sale going on ($30 plugins and crazy cheap bundles) as well as a buy-two-get-one-free promotion. Seems foolish not to buy at least a bundle right now. Is this something they do every year? And when will v13 come out, anyone know?

Also: is there any reason to go through a vendor instead of direct from Waves?

As you were.
    I bought a bundle last year. I'll have to check what version. I had them working in both '32 & '64. Installing them sucks and the licensing sucks. I don't put my machine online so had to resort to the license on a usb stick which adds another level of annoyance. You can sort of have it on two machines - but you have to jump through extra hoops and then up your subscription to continue the 2nd machine beyond the first year.

Getting 100 plugins isn't as good as it seems. Some are very good. There is probably about 30 with compressors in various configurations some with minimalistic controls or wrapped with other capabilities. At the same time I got Tokyo Dawn's Nova (free) and found that that was very powerful and the more I learned it, even better, then bought the paid version, then bought the bundle, which while just a few dynamics processors, feel to me like a much better value, as they are all very good and have interesting tricks up their sleeves.

I haven't been blown away by any of the waves reverbs and delays to the extent that I feel they are a best sounding reverb, but that said, I have not explored them extensively I would rather know which 10 of the 100 are slamming good and skip the confusion that the not so great ones add and skip all the simplified versions that can be achieved with one of the others. I have liked the waves h-comp - it is my favorite discovery in the bundle so far. Also in the positive light they don't seem to cpu hungry (but that may be that many of them are older designs). Who knows, I might have been delighted with the andrew schepps channel strip which might very well do what the whole bundle does (but is not included) - but that would be just as much a pain in the ass to install.
    Last edited by jmh; 01-03-2022 at 04:08 PM.

I am in the process of installing plugins on a new studio computer and am having a devil of a time getting shell2vst to work on the very few Waves plugins I have. Since I never found them as useful as similar plugins from companies that don't make me jump through hoops to get them to open, I will probably forget them. My advice is not to fall for those "great" deals.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Just for everyone’s info:

There are two shell2vst programs. One for 32 bit and another for 64 bit.

Put the correct shell2vst.exe in the saw vst folder. Put the waveshells in there too. Drag the waveshell(s) onto the shell2vst.exe program and the vst files will populate the folder.

Waves plugins can now be authorized to a local USB memory stick. It’s really not as complicated as you might think.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Just for everyone’s info:

There are two shell2vst programs. One for 32 bit and another for 64 bit.

Put the correct shell2vst.exe in the saw vst folder. Put the waveshells in there too. Drag the waveshell(s) onto the shell2vst.exe program and the vst files will populate the folder.

Waves plugins can now be authorized to a local USB memory stick. It’s really not as complicated as you might think.
    I had the right version and followed all of this. It would not create the new files. I have no idea why. When I used shell2vst last time, it worked flawlessly. This time it just tells me that 0 vsts have been created. I haven't given up, though.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio

Chris' tribute site

I just updated to version 13 and this all works for me. Here is a link to the Shell2vst programs. Be sure to use the shell2vst64.exe for the 64bit versions. For 32bit, I believe you have to use legacy installers from Waves.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a1sr6c4bi...riYcqLina?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I had the right version and followed all of this. It would not create the new files. I have no idea why. When I used shell2vst last time, it worked flawlessly. This time it just tells me that 0 vsts have been created. I haven't given up, though.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Blog Entries

Angie,
    ...Since I never found them as useful as similar plugins from companies that don't make me jump through hoops to get them to open, I will probably forget them. My advice is not to fall for those "great" deals.
    ...Angie, I would have to heartily agree with you on this one!

Though I am not "an audio engineer" by any sense of the term...I am well aware of the importance of what I would refer to as "clean installs". This is particularly true with what I would refer to as "dependencies". And from what I have gleaned thus far, Waves plug-ins do not appear to fit into that category.

So, the necessary research into other alternatives.

If I may ask the question - with this posting going too far south, what is the significance/importance of the use of Waves plug-ins? Functionality? Familiarity? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Angie, did you try 'Run as administrator...'?

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Angie, did you try 'Run as administrator...'?
    Yes, I did.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio

Chris' tribute site

10. Default Re: OT: A Waves virgin's questions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    *snip* For 32bit, I believe you have to use legacy installers from Waves.
    yes, V10
    Jon Ketcham
    Sound Suite
    Holly Springs, NC, USA