Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't modify, create, or save FX Groups

Something new to me...

I modify an existing SAWLite FX group or create a new one, then close SAW and reopen but the changes don't take.
    Tried saving the Preferences file with the above but maybe that doesn't apply anyway.
    Also tried reinstalling SAW but still no go.

Has anyone encountered/resolved this?

Thanks,

Jon

Default Re: Can't modify, create, or save FX Groups

I can't think of what would cause this issue for you, unless it has to do with read/write permissions of your SAW folders and files.

I just tried it with LITE to see if there could be a difference between lite and full, but everything worked as I expect it to in full.

Blog Entries

mobetternow,

Just tested "Lite" - and all is working as it should.

When creating an FX Group, there are no settings and/or other elements that are required.

In a similar manner as that of the SAWStudioCustomCtrl .dat file, when an FX Group is created, a SAWStudioFx.grp file is created.
    • This .grp file is stored in the root of the application folder.

I would first suggest that you confirm the existence of that file.
    • If, for whatever reason, that file does exist, then you just may be experiencing file permission problems with that folder.

Let us know what happens.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 02-14-2022 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I can't think of what would cause this issue for you, unless it has to do with read/write permissions of your SAW folders and files.

I just tried it with LITE to see if there could be a difference between lite and full, but everything worked as I expect it to in full.
    Thanks to you both for getting back.

It's a new PC and I didn't think to check permissions.
    The computer is back on the bench today and I'll let you know how things check out when I get it back.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    mobetternow,

Just tested "Lite" - and all is working as it should.

When creating an FX Group, there are no settings and/or other elements that are required.

In a similar manner as that of the SAWStudioCustomCtrl .dat file, when an FX Group is created, a SAWStudioFx.grp file is created.
    • This .grp file is stored in the root of the application folder.

I would first suggest that you confirm the existence of that file.
    • If, for whatever reason, that file does exist, then you just may be experiencing file permission problems with that folder.

Let us know what happens.
    I did have a backup from yesterday and discovered that the .grp file you mentioned hasn't updated since July!
    As mentioned I did reinstall SAW over itself yesterday.
    Maybe a clean install is needed?
    Or is there another reset of some kind? I recall seeing something
    years ago about deleting a config file, etc.

Thanks again for the help,
    Jon

If it's any consolation, I replied in this thread, realized I'd misunderstood the question, tried to delete my post, and it won't delete. So I've replaced the text with this.

I guess I should check my computer's permissions.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-15-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: misunderstood IP
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    If it's any consolation, I replied in this thread, realized I'd misunderstood the question, tried to delete my post, and it won't delete. So I've replaced the text with this.

I guess I should check my computer's permissions.

OK Dave--I'll take a deeper look at that first.
    Thanks,
    Jon

Blog Entries

mobetternow,

There are two main data files used by RML Labs products, 1) .fky, and 2) .prf - with there being two .fky data files, one for normal F-Keys and one for Alt F-Keys.

What I suggest is renaming the .prf data file and relaunching the software - and see what happens.

As noted by two others, if the .grp data file is not being updated, then you might have
    either 1) a corrupted .grp file, or 2) a permissions issue.

What I always suggest - depending on the "critical-ness" of the current install, is to install the demo version and again - see what happens.

Troubleshooting should always be pro-active and most definitely not re-active.

Hope this helps...looking for to the resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    mobetternow,

There are two main data files used by RML Labs products, 1) .fky, and 2) .prf - with there being two .fky data files, one for normal F-Keys and one for Alt F-Keys.

What I suggest is renaming the .prf data file and relaunching the software - and see what happens.

As noted by two others, if the .grp data file is not being updated, then you might have
    either 1) a corrupted .grp file, or 2) a permissions issue.

What I always suggest - depending on the "critical-ness" of the current install, is to install the demo version and again - see what happens.

Troubleshooting should always be pro-active and most definitely not re-active.

Hope this helps...looking for to the resolved.
    Interesting info on the data files. Now that you mention it, the .fky file didn't bring back the keyboard layout when I ran the program on the new machine.
    Still waiting to get it back from maintenance
    tomorrow and will try these options, along with checking permissions.
    Thank you,
    Jon

Blog Entries

Jon,

Forgive me...I had not noticed the "New PC" note.

So, was the original installation folder copied to the new system or was a new installation performed on the new system?

Last edited by mr_es335; 02-15-2022 at 02:16 PM.