Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New install freezing for buildmixes

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Dave, is a thumb drive involved at the time at all?
    Its funny you ask this, as I have had this issue on my current machine too (never bothered to mention it). Unlike Dave's intel, mine is an early ryzen with an amd chipset, which had various usb issues that hp has not addressed in a bios. Now its a few years down the road, so it will never happen. Anyway, it has had problems initializing the usb audio drivers; first on a beringer x18 (which went away when I plugged the mixer in a certain port). It re-materialized with a Presonus series iii but if I pull the usb cable then reinsert prior to opening saw, works fine. If I forget to to that, saw freezes then if I touch anything, I get the lightened screen and it needs intervention to close (corner X then a crash dialog box). I also have a usb stick with a waves license.

Anyway just reporting another piece in the puzzle

John

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Its funny you ask this, as I have had this issue on my current machine too (never bothered to mention it). Unlike Dave's intel, mine is an early ryzen with an amd chipset, which had various usb issues that hp has not addressed in a bios. Now its a few years down the road, so it will never happen. Anyway, it has had problems initializing the usb audio drivers; first on a beringer x18 (which went away when I plugged the mixer in a certain port). It re-materialized with a Presonus series iii but if I pull the usb cable then reinsert prior to opening saw, works fine. If I forget to to that, saw freezes then if I touch anything, I get the lightened screen and it needs intervention to close (corner X then a crash dialog box). I also have a usb stick with a waves license.

Anyway just reporting another piece in the puzzle

John
    I don't think it will help Dave, but here's something that gets me periodically. I'll plug a thumb drive that requires a fast interface into the same USB circuit that my mouse/keyboard is plugged into. Like - a USB cable to a multi-USB splitter box that the drive, the mouse, and the keyboard can all conveniently plug into. I'll forget that USB will run as fast as the slowest device plugged into it. In this case, that's the keyboard and mouse. My thumb drive will crawl and I won't understand why. Honest to God I've done it several times and been gobsmacked by how slow the drive was each time (even reasoning sometimes, "I don't get it - the keyboard and mouse can't be taking that much bandwidth..."). Just... repeatedly clueless.

A close relative to that one is forgetting that two USB outlets on my machine are plugged into the same USB circuit. I built the box, I'll know that they're using the same USB circuit. But, I'll temporarily forget it and won't be able to fathom the result.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I meant all that windows stuff we used to have to disable/turn off that otherwise was sort of appealing to look at.... I don't remember what it's all called anymore - transparency of window borders and such...
    Yes, there are all the optimizations (that I haven't done), but maybe you're referring to border padding in particular? Nope. Haven't done that. Does not doing that that cause graphics freezes? It's been so long. I don't recall what that was about. Maybe I'll look into that. Good thinking. Thanks.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    I don't think it will help Dave, but here's something that gets me periodically. I'll plug a thumb drive that requires a fast interface into the same USB circuit that my mouse/keyboard is plugged into. Like - a USB cable to a multi-USB splitter box that the drive, the mouse, and the keyboard can all conveniently plug into. I'll forget that USB will run as fast as the slowest device plugged into it. In this case, that's the keyboard and mouse. My thumb drive will crawl and I won't understand why. Honest to God I've done it several times and been gobsmacked by how slow the drive was each time (even reasoning sometimes, "I don't get it - the keyboard and mouse can't be taking that much bandwidth..."). Just... repeatedly clueless.

A close relative to that one is forgetting that two USB outlets on my machine are plugged into the same USB circuit. I built the box, I'll know that they're using the same USB circuit. But, I'll temporarily forget it and won't be able to fathom the result.
    Yeah, no USB involvement here. BT mouse. Thunderbolt 3 UAD Satellite. That's it.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Yeah, no USB involvement here. BT mouse. Thunderbolt 3 UAD Satellite. That's it.
    Just to rule out another more "modern" variable -
    Maybe try a usb wired mouse if you have one, or even a wireless usb, like the good old Logitech trackball (at least I'm successfully using it in my latest (not new) win10/x64 Dell desktop pc, with both SAW 32 and SAW 64 now, too.

Does that have a distinct thunderbolt jack, or just the usb-c style connector? I read something about the usb 3.1 spec a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if 3.1 was going to partially support thunderbolt or a particular version. And there is the possibility that UAD made their device support either thunderbolt and usb on the same wire.

Semantics aside, you could try disconnecting the audio device (and de-or-re-selecting audio devices) and see if you get the same behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Does that have a distinct thunderbolt jack, or just the usb-c style connector? I read something about the usb 3.1 spec a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if 3.1 was going to partially support thunderbolt or a particular version. And there is the possibility that UAD made their device support either thunderbolt and usb on the same wire.

Semantics aside, you could try disconnecting the audio device (and de-or-re-selecting audio devices) and see if you get the same behavior.
    UAD Thunderbolt stuff is Thunderbolt-only, using a USB-C connector on both ends of the cables. I'm not aware of a different type of Thunderbolt (3) connector. For PC, anyway. Sidebard: I only learned in the last few days that the USB-C connector is NOT reversible for Thunderbolt use. That is, you can't flip it 180 degrees and plug it back in (and expect it to work) like you can with USB 3 on said connector.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Dell remoted in, and the problem seems to be the audio driver I was using. Duh. While I have a UAD Satellite hooked up for UAD-2 plugins processing, I have no dedicated audio interface running. So, I've been using the integrated audio, which uses the Realtek drivers. We wrapped those using ASIO-4-ALL, and the pseudo-freeze/white-out sitch on BuildMixes cleared up at once.

I still feel silly having not done any Windows optimization tweaks thus far. But then, that's how it feels to be me, generally.

Bit thanks to Dell for his time and effort on my behalf.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-24-2022 at 04:26 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Sidebard: I only learned in the last few days that the USB-C connector is NOT reversible for Thunderbolt use. That is, you can't flip it 180 degrees and plug it back in (and expect it to work) like you can with USB 3 on said connector.
    I don't know who gave you that information but that is absolutely incorrect. USB-C IS 100% reversible, its literally part of the spec. Anything that is USB-C compliant like Thunderbolt 3/4, is reversible.

If you have something that doesn't work when you flip the cable, means you either have a damaged cable to a damaged port.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 04-24-2022 at 10:17 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,
    I don't know who gave you that information but that is absolutely incorrect. USB-C IS 100% reversible, its literally part of the spec.
    ... We here are so blessed to have you "on-board", Philip!

Last edited by mr_es335; 04-24-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    I don't know who gave you that information but that is absolutely incorrect. USB-C IS 100% reversible, its literally part of the spec. Anything that is USB-C compliant like Thunderbolt 3/4, is reversible.

If you have something that doesn't work when you flip the cable, means you either have a damaged cable to a damaged port.
    Or a UAD Apollo.

I guess I should've limited my claim to Apollo peripherals. Check it: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...nnection-Info- (fifth bullet point)

When connecting Apollo to the computer always check the orientation of the Thunderbolt cable. The Thunderbolt logo must be face up on the Thunderbolt cable when plugged into both the Apollo and the computer - if the Thunderbolt logo is not face up then the cable is inserted upside-down, which can be done fairly easily.

Note: On iMac computers, the Thunderbolt logo on the Thunderbolt cable should face left (when looking at the back of the iMac).

I only made the discovery by not following this rule and coming up with a non-functioning Apollo X Satellite.

Learn something today, Philip?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-24-2022 at 11:21 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts