Close

Default Behringer Xtouch with SawStuio64

Having just pulled the trigger on getting SawStudio64, I am in the configuration process. I still have the 32 bit version in operation (not at the same time). I have hit my first snag, and it involves getting 64 to work with my Behringer Xtouch. I have it working just fine with SS32, and I had to jump through some hoops to get there. The Xtouch has to be connected with BOTH USB and Ethernet, must be set to network mode, and the computer has to use RTPmidi for the midi over network connection.
    Then SS has to be pointed to the port name used in RTPmidi (which defaults to the computer name, in this case STUDIO CORE).

I have verified that the Xtouch works properly with SS32. I did the necessary midi port and "control active" settings in SS64 exactly the same as are working in SS32.

Is anyone here using the Xtouch with SS64, and if so how did you make it work?

Is there something different required for SS64 vs. SS32, or is there possibly an undiscovered bug about this in SS64?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: Behringer Xtouch with SawStuio64

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Having just pulled the trigger on getting SawStudio64, I am in the configuration process. I still have the 32 bit version in operation (not at the same time). I have hit my first snag, and it involves getting 64 to work with my Behringer Xtouch. I have it working just fine with SS32, and I had to jump through some hoops to get there. The Xtouch has to be connected with BOTH USB and Ethernet, must be set to network mode, and the computer has to use RTPmidi for the midi over network connection.
    Then SS has to be pointed to the port name used in RTPmidi (which defaults to the computer name, in this case STUDIO CORE).

I have verified that the Xtouch works properly with SS32. I did the necessary midi port and "control active" settings in SS64 exactly the same as are working in SS32.

Is anyone here using the Xtouch with SS64, and if so how did you make it work?

Is there something different required for SS64 vs. SS32, or is there possibly an undiscovered bug about this in SS64?
    you shouldn't need to connect both USB and Ethernet. Just one or the other depending on how you have your system configured.

I just tried my X-Touch and didn't have to do anything other than plug it into the USB port. It showed up in the Midi Device list as EXT x-touch. This worked in both SAW and SAC. Selected the appropriate Mackie MIDI template and activated the MIDI IN and MIDI Out and the x-touch fired right up.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    you shouldn't need to connect both USB and Ethernet. Just one or the other depending on how you have your system configured.

I just tried my X-Touch and didn't have to do anything other than plug it into the USB port. It showed up in the Midi Device list as EXT x-touch. This worked in both SAW and SAC. Selected the appropriate Mackie MIDI template and activated the MIDI IN and MIDI Out and the x-touch fired right up.
    I should have mentioned that I have an AMD Ryzen system. With SS32 I had to go through some steps. Before I could get the computer to recognize the Xtouch through USB as a midi device, I had to update the firmware on the Xtouch. After that, Device Manage recognized the device, but SS could not access it. That's when I went for RTPmidi and the ethernet connection. I could only get this to work, however, if I ALSO had the USB cable connected. I have no clue why this is, but that's how it went.

So, now it works with SS32 but, although SS64 can show the device in lists and doesn't throw any error messages, it is not communicating. I don not know if this means a different procedure is required for SS64 than or SS32, or if there is simply some undiscovered bug between SS64 and AMD Ryzen systems. Everything else I have tried so far with SS64 in my system seems to work, certainly as far as passing audio from a VSTi.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Nothing is different between SAW/SAC64 and SAW/SAC32. Same exact procedure and steps.

I can't speak to the Ryzen issue. The system I tried this on is a brand new Intel Core i5 Build with a new install of Win10 Pro.

I didn't have to install any additional drivers for the X-Touch, I just plugged it in.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Doh!

I found out why my Xtouch wasn't working with SS64: I forgot to select the Mackie MCU template file.

Of course, I tried everything else I could think of first. After all the trouble I had gone to getting the Xtouch working through a network connection, I went back to using the MID mode connection. Part of this was because I could not always be sure that the system would "wake up" with RTPmidi properly working with the Xtouch. Much as my inner tech snob wanted to use the fancier connection, I had enough midi ports to let me do it the "old" way, so I went back to it with both SS32 and SS64.

It was after going through all that that I finally remembered about the template file. Now I have the Xtouch working in both versions of SawStudio.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"