Close

Default SAW Studio with Presonus Live 24 III

If there is anybody running Saw Studio through a Presonus Live 24 III, I hope you can shed some light on this.

Since I updated the firmware and Universal Control and then rolled the firmware back to a previous version, I'm still getting regular glitches during playback and on occasion recording. Before the firmware changes, I was using 4 buffers at 512 without issues. Now I'm up to 10 buffers at 2048, the absolute max and still having problems.

Thanks in advance!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Default Re: SAW Studio with Presonus Live 24 III

I am recording with a Studio Live 32 Series III mixer and have had no issues at all running SAW at 512. I don't recall the buffer setting, but it's probably 4. If I get larger track counts, say in the 50s, I'll kick up the buffer samples to 1024.

Have you created a support ticket with PreSonus? They're pretty responsive.

I'm curious; why did you roll the firmware back to a previous version?
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

I am also using a Studio Live 32 Series III, a 32sx. I have a little glitch with the usb initializing - but that appears to be due to a chipset issue with the usb on early Ryzen motherboards. I had similar issues with a behringer x18 on this machine. Anyway, after booting, if I unplug & replug the usb cord prior to launching saw, it works fine.

One little thing is if I open a project at a different sample rate, the mixer does not follow, but I have to manually change the rate (the board's usb is only 44.1 or 48k). I also have to reinsert the usb cable. I have had the board wig out and play noise from the usb stream a couple of times and had to power cycle the board it to correct it. This all may stem from the chipset, so until I'm willing to spring for a new machine I'm stuck with it - but I don't think I'm going to see a repeat 12 or so year performance of the Pentium 4 that I had before. This is mostly a non-issue as I stay pretty much in 44.1 - but occasionally I have something that originated elsewhere at 48, and will keep it at the native rate.

I did find that microsoft has a usb developer's utility that may allow me to issue a reset command - maybe I can start saw with a powershell script that calls the usb reset first, and skip the reinsertion. I have not tried this out yet.

Oh yea, I played around with the buffers... but I think I wound up leaving them at Studio & Presonus driver defaults

Sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. You are way over my head from the technical perspective. But I'll tell you I've installed the latest firmware and Universal Control and all systems are functioning with absolutely no problems. I am however, using an Intel processor (Dell Laptop, with a 3 GHz CPU). Things have been rock solid, although I will say that I need to start the computer AFTER the mixer is booted in order for the USB to be discovered properly. Otherwise, I have to pull the USB and re-insert it as you have described.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues.
    I think I have computer issues not SeriesIII issues...
    Things have been rock solid, although I will say that I need to start the computer AFTER the mixer is booted in order for the USB to be discovered properly. Otherwise, I have to pull the USB and re-insert it as you have described.
    Hmm, I'll try that. If that works out, maybe I'll see if my bios will do a the memory test to slow the boot down a little. Ironic in that I put in quite a bit of effort to remove every possible service so it wound up booting in (I think) 17 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    If there is anybody running Saw Studio through a Presonus Live 24 III, I hope you can shed some light on this.

Since I updated the firmware and Universal Control and then rolled the firmware back to a previous version, I'm still getting regular glitches during playback and on occasion recording. Before the firmware changes, I was using 4 buffers at 512 without issues. Now I'm up to 10 buffers at 2048, the absolute max and still having problems.

Thanks in advance!
    Bill, have you tried disabling any anti-virus/malware/ windows defender type of software as a test? Also, I think usb ports are typically in pairs so you might want to make sure you 24III is the only device on that particular usb channel or chip (I'm not sure of the correct nomenclature).

What else to try? Go through your startup services or programs and disable anything you can - look for things like a photo programs that could poll for usb cameras and cell-phones. Disable bluetooth. If you use a wireless mouse or keys, try switching to a wire. Remove anything usb you don't need. Disconnect the network cable... If you are in a USB-3 port, try switching to 2 or visa versa (not sure about yours, but my SeriesIII is USB-2, so it should work in either). Try a different cable.

Also, if you have another machine to control the mixer, you could try using that, don't run universal control on your saw machine, and see if the glitching is cleared.
    Last edited by jmh; 05-27-2022 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't go on line with my SAW computer unless I have to do a Source Connect session, so I don't have any antivirus or malware programs running. Also I'm using a USB mouse and Keyboard. I think I'm still USB-2. It never occurred to reinsert the USB cable.

Next, and this was also suggested by Presonus Support, I'll try to work on another machine. I just find it strange that it all started with the 2.5 firmware update. I've been looking for an excuse to contemporize (Is that even a word?) my computer. I'll search for what the best, recent Mobo/CPU/RAM combos are.

Thanks again and keep SAWing,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio