Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SawStudio transition from 32 to 64

Having finally pulled the trigger on upgrading to SS 64, I am now cautiously dipping my toe in the transition process. First thing is, I think I remember hearing that SS64 will NOT work with any 32 bit plugin of any type, be it DirectX, Native, or VST. Do I understand this correctly?

One unexpected thing I am seeing in the plugins list window is several listed DX plugins, which I think it "inherited" from my installation of Cakewalk by Bandlab. These open when I select them, but I haven't tried to pass signal through them yet. I assume all these are 64 bit, although I see a couple of Ultrafunk DX plugins included, and again at least one of these open. Does anyone know is somebody "ported" these to 64 bit? I find the Ultrafunk compressor and eq important in some of my sessions.

Is there anyone here using Bridgewise to bridge 32 bit VSTs to SS64?

Is there a particular method for moving a session from SS32 to SS64? Any "gotchas" to watch out for in this process?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: SawStudio transition from 32 to 64

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Having finally pulled the trigger on upgrading to SS 64, I am now cautiously dipping my toe in the transition process. First thing is, I think I remember hearing that SS64 will NOT work with any 32 bit plugin of any type, be it DirectX, Native, or VST. Do I understand this correctly?

One unexpected thing I am seeing in the plugins list window is several listed DX plugins, which I think it "inherited" from my installation of Cakewalk by Bandlab. These open when I select them, but I haven't tried to pass signal through them yet. I assume all these are 64 bit, although I see a couple of Ultrafunk DX plugins included, and again at least one of these open. Does anyone know is somebody "ported" these to 64 bit? I find the Ultrafunk compressor and eq important in some of my sessions.

Is there anyone here using Bridgewise to bridge 32 bit VSTs to SS64?

Is there a particular method for moving a session from SS32 to SS64? Any "gotchas" to watch out for in this process?
    Some answers: 32-bit VST's will not work in SS64. I use JBridge successfully as needed for porting. I don't think I've used a DX plugin in ten years, so I don't know about those despite the fact that I have all the Sound Forge DX's showing up in SS64. I assume they'll work. Maybe one of us should try passing signal through them. Nah. No time for that.

Bob's natives have all been ported to 64 with the exception of the reverberator, I think. As for third-party natives: yeah, all the JMS stuff, etc., no workie no mo'. It's a bit of a loss.

I haven't tried to open a lot of 32-bit EDLs in SS64, but have had some luck. I think the plugins may be the biggest hurdle.

My main issue with going to SS64 was that suddenly many SS64-rendered WAVs would cause an error when converting to MP3 in dBPoweramp (something I need to do a lot). Turned out to be a deeply-buried/rarely invoked (never till then, apparently) bug that Bob fixed immediately.

The only other issue I seem to continue having, and it's not that often, is that sometimes an EDL will suddenly become corrupted. I can't say if that's an SS64 thing or a plugin thing or...

That's all I know. Good luck!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Cary,

The overall installation process is rather seamless - being more dependent on the OS rather than the actual application configuration.

For example, if I am creating a tutorial for SAC or SAW - the "software only side" of the text can apply to both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions.

Regarding 32-bit plugins - I personally suggest that you consider this transition process more of a "roll-out" rather than a "migration".
    • PS: Maybe give me a call and I can better explain this process over the phone.

In answer to your question regarding 32-bit plug-in usage, the answer is "No" - at least, not without external assistance.

I do hope that you understand that you can launch SAW-32 and SAW-64 on the same machine - whilst you are making the transition from one environment to the other.

I do hope this information is of some assistance?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

The overall installation process is rather seamless - being more dependent on the OS rather than the actual application configuration.

For example, if I am creating a tutorial for SAC or SAW - the "software only side" of the text can apply to both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions.
    The installation of SawStudio64 was indeed seamless. As for operation being the same, yes, although Bob did elect to use a different "shade" for the 64 bit version, which I actually find convenient because I know immediately which version I opened up.

I do hope that you understand that you can launch SAW-32 and SAW-64 on the same machine - whilst you are making the transition from one environment to the other.
    I will be keeping both versions on my machine for quite some time. Your warning about Windows 11 abandoning 32 bit application support is much appreciated by me (not that I had any intention of going to 11 any time soon). I am also carefully keeping session files for SS64 completely separated from session files from SS32.

Again, thanks for your help.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Cary, I have run both 32 and 64. I find myself using 32 more - simply because of the 32bit plugins which I prefer that haven't been upgraded to 64.

I'm sure it's in the manual... but just quick, what is the conversion process to open 32bit EDLs in SS64? (clean SS32 session of 32bit plugins use, save, then open (or import?)

What are best practices on that?
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Cary, I have run both 32 and 64. I find myself using 32 more - simply because of the 32bit plugins which I prefer that haven't been upgraded to 64.

I'm sure it's in the manual... but just quick, what is the conversion process to open 32bit EDLs in SS64? (clean SS32 session of 32bit plugins use, save, then open (or import?)

What are best practices on that?
    you can open 32bit EDLs directly. unavailable plugins will simple show up as missing.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Good day,
    As Philip has stated, "...you can open 32bit EDLs directly. unavailable plugins will simple show up as missing..."...Granted...it is the "saving" process that completes the overall conversion process.

If the 32-bit data is copied to a-separate-and-distinct folder, then when saving/updating a 32-bit EDL to 64-bit would mean that the 32-bit EDL is always available and intact.

I do hope that this makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    you can open 32bit EDLs directly. unavailable plugins will simple show up as missing.
    Thank-you!
    And Del, Thanks for the tip... For archiving I'd always want it as I mixed it with 32bit plugins...
    but for future proof... (Windows not supporting 32bit)... it's good to have 64.

But that brings up.... surely when windows abandons 32bit... won't cause us to not be able to play ANY 32bit files (mixed) from the past, right? Wouldn't we still be able to play our mixdown 32bit file(s)? Or do decades of archived mixdowns have to be converted too?
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Thank-you!
    And Del, Thanks for the tip... For archiving I'd always want it as I mixed it with 32bit plugins...
    but for future proof... (Windows not supporting 32bit)... it's good to have 64.

But that brings up.... surely when windows abandons 32bit... won't cause us to not be able to play ANY 32bit files (mixed) from the past, right? Wouldn't we still be able to play our mixdown 32bit file(s)? Or do decades of archived mixdowns have to be converted too?
    your confusing Audio/Wave files with 32/64bit Apps.

Its not the audio files that are 32-bit or 64-bit, its the applications (SAW, SAC, Protools, Reaper, VSTs etc).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Carl,

As Philip stated, "...Its not the audio files that are 32-bit or 64-bit, its the applications..." ...and for interest sake, you would still be able to launch 32-bit software on a virtual machine.
    • I have NEVER attempted this myself...but I do know of many others who have.

I hope this helps.