Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help. Replace file - name changed

I thought I knew how to do this, but now I can't remember. Or maybe I just THOUGHT I could, but it can't be done? Anyway ...

I've edited a dialog file with many, many edits. However, I found that the file had been mis-named (a typo). I renamed the file correctly.

Now ... I thought there was a way to load the new file - which is the same except for its name - into the EDL and have it take the place of the original (mis-named) file, with the edits intact.

Or am I mistaken?

Thanks for any memory-jog - or any help if this isn't possible.

Roger

Default Re: Help. Replace file - name changed

I don't recall exactly, but I've done this and similar changes many times in the past....

Go to the View menu and choose File. From there, highlight the file or files from the list that shows up. Then click on the blue triangle to get a menu of choices. There are a few to choose from, depending on what you need to do...

Once renamed, you will need to save and reopen the session to make the change(s) stick.
    There are some ways you can mess it up, so choose carefully. Maybe make a copy of the session first to another folder.

Wish I could be more specific for you - but I hope all goes well - I'm sure it will.

Blog Entries

Good yda,

Firstly., I hope that you are able to resolve your issues...I do apologize that I am able to be of any assistance to you.

Secondly, what is a "dialog file and how is this dialog file created?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by radiorog View Post
    I thought I knew how to do this, but now I can't remember. Or maybe I just THOUGHT I could, but it can't be done? Anyway ...

I've edited a dialog file with many, many edits. However, I found that the file had been mis-named (a typo). I renamed the file correctly.

Now ... I thought there was a way to load the new file - which is the same except for its name - into the EDL and have it take the place of the original (mis-named) file, with the edits intact.

Or am I mistaken?

Thanks for any memory-jog - or any help if this isn't possible.

Roger
    Roger,
    So you renamed a SOURCE SOUNDFILE to which REGIONs are built from, yes?

Go to VIEW>FILE
    a green window shows all the file locations. If there is an asterisk (*) then that file is missing.
    -To rename the file question:
    _highlight the entry with a left click
    _left-click the blue triangle in the upper left hand corner>drop down dialog pops up>
    _left-click "ReName Selected Entries Only"
    _an input dialog box opens> input the filename you want that entry to point to

click yes to the update edl dialog pop-up warning

I hope that helps :-)
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    I do apologize that I am able to be of any assistance to you.
    A forum first!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I think the one thing no one has said is that if you want to use the File View window (recommended), you'll first need to rename any WAV files' names that you changed back to the names that the EDL knows.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks, all. Never knew these capabilities existed in the View menu. I know ... RTFM!

Solved my problem.

Thanks.

Roger

There also is the option of automatically renaming the file itself (as well as renaming the entry). Choose from:
    Menu>View>File>(select file & click blue triangle> choose "Rename Selected Entries and Actual Files"

However, (note for Bob), I just tried that option and it is not working (SS32). It correctly renames the File and the "entry" that is listed [I]only in "File Menu".... but Not the Region(s) entries or Multi-track entries.

So, it seems you would have to manually rename all regions (MT entries) to reflect is simple base file name change.

Is there a better way to rename a file that will then automatically rename the multitude of region entries that were created by that file? (not just rename the File name listed *only* in the File menu)
    Last edited by Carl G.; 05-28-2022 at 05:46 PM.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Region names are not the concern here... it is the links between the entries and the files. Region names do not have to reflect wav filenames.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Region names are not the concern here... it is the links between the entries and the files. Region names do not have to reflect wav filenames.

Bob L
    Gotcha. And just remembered, if you want multiple region names changed you *can* do so simply by selecting the multiple entries desired and rename all selected (in one dialog box), doing so with one click. (NICE!)
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com