Close

Default Save Library view directory links?

Hello, all.

Maybe I'm just not doing this right, but I checked the manual and it appears what I need doesn't seem to be possible. Or is it ...?

I have an F-Key setup with five Library windows open. Each window displays a directory of music files I use for every audiobook project I do. The directories are always the same: e.g., Library window 1 always contains the directory of dramatic cues, Library window 2 contains the directory of mystery cues, etc. thru Library window 5.

As I said, I use this setup, with the same directories in the same Library windows, for every project. But ... I find no way to save this directory setup for new projects or even new chapter files in the same project.

I thought saving the setup to a Mix Template might work. The template saves the Library window positions, but on launch, they're all empty. So for every new chapter file, I'm forced to re-path all five windows to those same directories.

Is it possible to have the linked directories saved to each Library window? Is the Mix Template not capable of this, or am I doing something wrong?

I suppose making a 'default' blank project file as a starter setup might do it, but I'd need to remember to immediately save it under a new name for every chapter (which, unfortunately, I often don't remember to do).

As always, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Roger

Default Re: Save Library view directory links?

Quote Originally Posted by radiorog View Post
    Hello, all.

I suppose making a 'default' blank project file as a starter setup might do it, but I'd need to remember to immediately save it under a new name for every chapter (which, unfortunately, I often don't remember to do).

As always, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Roger

This was my thought - a default blank project would (should) always point the libraries to the same location....
    although I haven't tried it out.

Yes... save it as a default project session... you can name it starting template or something like that... and when you start a new project with it... just open the starting template project and immediately Save As to a new folder and name.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Yes... save it as a default project session... you can name it starting template or something like that... and when you start a new project with it... just open the starting template project and immediately Save As to a new folder and name.

Bob L
    That's how I do it. If you ever overwrite your template file (which you should clearly label with "TEMPLATE" in the filename), it's no biggie to either undo back to the beginning and do a Save Copy As... then redo back to where you were. OR.... what I usually do is just delete all the non-template regions in one keystroke (after selecting them in Regions View, of course) and then clean up any stuff in the MT that might've departed from where your template. PRO TIP: also clear any library windows that you might have opened up for the project.

Then, down the road when you are working on a project and decide a change you made should be made to the template file, too, just do a Save As... of the project session to something temporary (in case you screw up), then delete what you don't want in that EDL, then save that over your template file of choice. If you want to make a backup copy of the template file, first, feel free.

This approach has worked pretty well for me for many years.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts