Close

Default Varispeed question

Hello,

It's been several years since I did this and I can't recall and was hoping someone could help me.

I have a Voice over I want to speed up about 5%. I know it sounds more chipmunky now, but I used to be able to offset that and get the pitch back to normal, but I can't recall how. I think it may have been a plugin. At this speed the semitones are +00.83.

Does anyone know how to speed up or slow down audio and get the pitch back to normal?

Thanks!

David
    David Benkert

Blog Entries

Default Re: Varispeed question

DBenkert,

Vari-Speed/Pitch

Defined
    Vari-Speed/Pitch options allow individual MT Entries to be played back at different speeds without affecting adjacent entries.
    Speeding up an entry will also pitch it up and shorten its length, where slowing down an entry will pitch it down and expand the length.

Accessing
    [Alt-Right-Clicking] or [Left-Right-Clicking] on an MT Entry displays the MT Entry Properties popup menu.

Usage: Set Vari-Pitch
    This option allows you to set a Vari-Pitch factor in hundredths of a semitone.
    Selecting this option displays the Set Vari-Pitch Factor dialog box where you may type in a value from -12 to +12 SemiTones.

Usage: Clear Vari-Speed/Pitch
    This option clears the vari-speed/pitch factor for the desired MT Entry.

Thanks Dell! I think I have it figured out on how to speed it up (make it shorter), but how do I then set the pitch so it doesn't sound sped up? Sorry, I remember doing it a long time ago, but can't remember.
    David Benkert

You need a plugin to do that... Time Compression or Pitch Shifting plugin...

There are many out there... one of the best commercial ones for this would be Melodyne.

Bob L

I've been using Reason to time stretch or shrink words or syllables of robot/AI voices for a current project...and then use the "auto-tune" functionality to manually tune for emphasis...it isn't perfect, yet Reason's algorithm for time-stretch is excellent.
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

My favorite combination for this in SAW32 was SAW’s varipitch and the Sonorus Pitch/Time plugin. Now in SAW64, I mostly use the Pitch plugin bundled with Acid, which used to be by Sonic Foundry and then Sony, but is now maintained by Magix.
    Michael McInnis Productions

I've had near-perfect time compression results (for voice-over) with Melodyne, and I'm still on an old version. You have to pick the right analysis algorithm, though. I always forget which one, so I end up trying them all each time. :P
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I've had near-perfect time compression results (for voice-over) with Melodyne, and I'm still on an old version. You have to pick the right analysis algorithm, though. I always forget which one, so I end up trying them all each time. :P
    I need to try this...it's now version 5...which version are you using....I suppose I could trial and compare :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    I need to try this...it's now version 5...which version are you using....I suppose I could trial and compare :-)
    Actually, it turns out I'm on version 5, the current version. But I'm only at the lowly "Essential" level. I don't think I'm giving up anything in terms of raw performance, though.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I used Audacity's(Tempo Change) for 'Time Stretching/Shrinking', for two projects...1) to insert a poetry reading into a podcast that had a finite time limit...and 2) to fit some music to a slide show presentation...both turned out perfect.

SAWStudio is a mature, well established DAW that could use some refinements, and a 'Time Stretching/Shrinking' option is one of them...either as embedded code, or as a plugin...I would prefer a plugin.

Audacity is open source code, so I'm sure Bob could lift the part of the code needed...and mould it into the typical SAW plugin...complete with wood panelling
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada