Close

Default 32 Bit FP Audio Files Delivered To Me; How Do You Deal With Them?

Oh boy, I do recall the history of such conversations on the old SAW Forum, so I realize I might be hitting a beehive with a a baseball bat. Maybe those old conversations had nothing to do with this.

Anyone here dealing with 32 Bit Floating Point wav files and maybe provide how you deal with them? I usually use DaVinci Resolve for conversions...as of now I don't even know if Resolve supports the format. I know that the SAWStudio64 Soundfile View will play them back; but the the MultiTrack window sounds like a bomb went off.
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Default Re: 32 Bit FP Audio Files Delivered To Me; How Do You Deal With Them?

The current versions should play them.... if the soundfile view plays them, they should also play fine in the MT.

Send me a short piece of one of the files... a few secs worth and let me test here.

Bob L

If wind up having to convert them, and you have access to a linux or mac machine, you can use sox http://sox.sourceforge.net/Docs/Documentation to do it. (There is a cigwin installer for windows too. I have no idea if it is a simple binary - or something more complicated to get going. There is also a linux environment that you can activate from within windows where sox may install).

Audacity should be able to do it to...great program....free!
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Thanks everybody :-)

I used Resolve, which worked fine...it's part of my workflow

Bob, how would I send you any files? A link in a forum post to an online portal I suppose :-)

Anyway, I didn't dive too deep trying to play them in SAW...I'll have another go early next week

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    The current versions should play them.... if the soundfile view plays them, they should also play fine in the MT.

Send me a short piece of one of the files... a few secs worth and let me test here.

Bob L
    Hi Bob,
    looks like I am wrong; I have now 32bitFP regions playing back just fine in a 4824 MultiTrack session SS64 :-)
    Alongside 4824 regions

I have had problems with soft edges and 32bit float files. I always convert them.
    Michael McInnis Productions

I have noticed some behaviour that I don't typically have when not using 32bitFP files
    automation not writing; for example when pressing F to write a fade
    I seldom if ever have that issue. A reboot fixed it

another thing that might be affecting my jobs might be Sonnox Restore DeBuzzer I've been using on some jobs
    and I had never used the 64bit version before last week.
    Maybe the ilok is throwing some issues. I haven't used the ilok in about 3 years.

Reboot of SS64 fixed my issues, so I didn't worry about it too much