Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Plugin insertion causes crash

I have 'inadvertently' caused a crash a few times recently. I think (but not positive) that I may have been inserting fabfilter pro-r during playback. Since this began to occur after I bought certain plugins (fabfilter among them), I don't particularly attribute the crash to saw (which just disappears, and I'm back at the desktop without a dialog box). Where the oddity crops up is the recent undos seem to disappear as well. I'm wondering if Studio keeps the undos open from the current session and windows (10) assumes they are corrupted and either deletes or maybe restores the last good copy of them? The drive is an internal solid state and maybe it caches the writes to do them in a batch, and if that is the case, maybe there is a setting to change that behavior - or a reason to favor a spinning disk.

I don't tend to create manual undos - and perhaps I haven't been doing the type of edits that generate an undo, but when this has occurred, it has usually been after enough edits where I would expect a couple of .u?? files. Also after reopening pulling down the edit menu recent edits are listed (I didn't even know that you could pull up a synopsis of last edits from that menu), but upon clicking on them, I get a message that amounts to 'can't find that undo file'.

Next time this occurs, I'll make more accurate note the particulars and post it, but for now I'm curious if anyone has seen something similar.

Also, when displaying the undo files in saw's open undo menus, the creation time shows up which is not particularly helpful since the filenames rotate through the undo depth. I can change the displayed column to modification time, but it does not stick. I'm think this is a windows thing, but if anyone knows how to make it stick, let me know (and now that I've typed this, I think I'll try saving preferences after adjusting the menu).

One more side note is I have a few recent projects that are running with pretty high cpu load (90+%), and it might be occurring on them.
    Last edited by jmh; 07-05-2022 at 04:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Plugin insertion causes crash

jmh,

Just a thought-or-two...

1. Is this a new or an existing session?

2. If a new session, is that session stored/saved?
    • I have noticed that if I am "testing things out" - and where the session is not actually stored/saved, no undo files are generated.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    jmh,

Just a thought-or-two...

1. Is this a new or an existing session?

2. If a new session, is that session stored/saved?
    • I have noticed that if I am "testing things out" - and where the session is not actually stored/saved, no undo files are generated.

It is funny you mention that because my thought was that it may have been after a rename - although in the latest instance, it was not the case (or was it related).

My naming convention begins

SongName.edl

...after it starts shaping up, I will rename it:

SongName_A.edl

...and the whenever I have made significant changes _B, _C... It was after one of these renames that I first had the lost undos. I was wondering if the base undo file name remains the file name the session was originally opened as, and perhaps the undo's were getting written with the old name. This is a situation that has occurred maybe a half dozen times over a couple of months so I was not accumulating clues - just recollecting my experience. Anyway you are giving me ideas for what to look at.

It looks like saw makes a ramdisk and writes the undos into that. When saw properly exits (or maybe you close an edl) it writes those files to a real drive since they then appear in their folder after a close with various new modification times.

SAW puts the undos in the undo Path setting directly with almost every edit command. There is no special ramdisk... if you set the undo path setting to \Undo\ it will create an undo folder in the actual session folder and keep all the undos with each session folder.

Bob L

Blog Entries

jmh,

As Bob stated, "...if you set the undo path setting to \Undo\ it will create an undo folder in the actual session folder and keep all the undos with each session folder..." - in my past testing, this option was very significant in how SAW managed undo data. A definite "must" in my book!!

PS: I wonder how many others are doing the same with the \Undo\ path?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    ...PS: I wonder how many others are doing the same with the \Undo\ path?

If you leave the undo path blank (and create a unique session folder for each new project), then all undos for that session will also be stored in the session folder - just not in their own undo folder. Many of us saw users have been doing it this way for years, following Bob's advice at the time (it might even be in the help file for that matter). Either way gets the job done.

My undo is set to an absolute path. If I open that folder there are no newly modified files showing when I refresh that folder until saw closes. At that point several appear (with various modification times). Maybe windows 10 hides them if there is an open handle??

The drive is a samsung evo ssd. Maybe it caches to prevent 'wear', and may blow away improperly closed files (in the case of the vst crashing saw)?

As an aside, I think I will change the undo path to \Undo\ - as I think I would prefer having them store with the project.
    Last edited by jmh; 07-08-2022 at 04:28 AM.

Blog Entries

jmh,

As noted, I had performed numerous tests awhile back for both SAW and SAC and found that the use of \Undo\ was significant.

I had mistakenly said plugin insertion and removal didn***8217;t generate undos, but they do. Sorry for my confusion.
    Last edited by MMP; 07-09-2022 at 04:27 AM.
    Michael McInnis Productions