Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grow region boundry

I did a levelizer remove silence. After touching up by hand to remove accidental inclusions, in the context of the mix it seems my release was a little too abrupt. I guess could output this to a hottrack and use it as a gate key on the originating track, but is there a way to grow many right or left hand region boundries all at once?

Default Re: Grow region boundry

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I did a levelizer remove silence. After touching up by hand to remove accidental inclusions, in the context of the mix it seems my release was a little too abrupt. I guess could output this to a hottrack and use it as a gate key on the originating track, but is there a way to grow many right or left hand region boundries all at once?
    Nope. I would move your touch-ups to a separate track and fix those manually, then process the remainder as you suggest. It may mean first reprocessing the whole thing as you did originally, though, to be able to easily identify the fixes.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

One way to expand the region boundaries to the left, say by one second, is to out the cursor at one second, then drop all the regions into the multitrack on separate tracks (in the regions window, select all the regions, hit "Ins"). Move the cursor to zero on the timeline, hit "Select all inputs" and then "U". The region names will be unchanged, but will start a second earlier. I'm struggling, however, to come up with a technique to stretch the right-hand boundaries. That probably needs a way to align the right hand end of all the regions on the multitrack, and I haven't worked out how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by andy cross View Post
    One way to expand the region boundaries to the left, say by one second, is to out the cursor at one second, then drop all the regions into the multitrack on separate tracks (in the regions window, select all the regions, hit "Ins"). Move the cursor to zero on the timeline, hit "Select all inputs" and then "U". The region names will be unchanged, but will start a second earlier. I'm struggling, however, to come up with a technique to stretch the right-hand boundaries. That probably needs a way to align the right hand end of all the regions on the multitrack, and I haven't worked out how to do that.
    Using the technique you've outlined (which is the one I had also initially considered), you can line up the right-hand edge of all the regions you've placed on individual tracks by first hitting the End key which places the cursor at the right-most edge of the longest region (assuming there are no regions outside of the selected ones). Then, Select all the regions (S, then Ctrl A). Finally, use Shift/Backspace to align the right edge of all the selected regions to the cursor.

Now you can go out of Select Mode and move the cursor one second to the right. Finally, use the U key to extend the right-edge region boundaries (be sure to blacken all the track numbers in the MT first to extend them as a group - not from a Mixer View.). And make sure you have one of the tracks as your hot track - the U command won't work if the hot track is a return or output track. That goes for moving the regions in Select Mode too (I think).
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 10-04-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Could a soft edge and blank region help with this?
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

You could also just undo back to the solid track again... adjust the parameters for the remove silence and re-apply that function.

Bob L

It was a busy drum track and had several false hits from adjacent drums that took a while to clear up so I wound up with a lot of regions. Part of the mistake was not turning on auto zero cross on this particular job where the releasing edge may not be clean after the silence removal.

I built to hottrack, slid it a couple of ms left and used that as the key on the original and all is well, but there are things you can do in the triangle menus that I forget or have never found and this could have been one of them...

As Bill alluded selecting all region entries and adding a SoftEdge to the end of them en masse would fix your zero-cross problem.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    As Bill alluded selecting all region entries and adding a SoftEdge to the end of them en masse would fix your zero-cross problem.
    Ahh, I didn't grasp that the first time around - and didn't know that in select mode the softedge could be applied to many regions.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Using the technique you've outlined (which is the one I had also initially considered), you can line up the right-hand edge of all the regions you've placed on individual tracks by first hitting the End key which places the cursor at the right-most edge of the longest region (assuming there are no regions outside of the selected ones). Then, Select all the regions (S, then Ctrl A). Finally, use Shift/Backspace to align the right edge of all the selected regions to the cursor.
    I've not managed to get the right edge of the regions to align: the regions are still aligning on the left edge. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by andy cross; 10-06-2022 at 10:08 AM.