Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Running SAW (and/or SAC) with ASIO4ALL (or similar drivers)

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    On the other hand, if your connected to either the PreSonus or the X32 via USB your going to be sitting right next to the console, so why can't you monitor directly through the PreSonus or X32?
    Aha! You added some while I was typing. I do appreciate your contribution to the thought process!

I've considered this prospect. Since we did away with the x32 and its remote unit, I no longer have the option to sit behind the glass in the larger control room as I used to do (this is not the aforementioned video control room). I used to connect directly to the x32 main console, when I was the only one working at foh. But I may now be forced to set up shop alongside the (usual) soundguy, taking up scarce desk and foot space just to connect with the USB... I've been told to avoid USB cable runs of more than 10ft, so I'm trying to be cautious about that.

Besides, as I mentioned in my previous post, this means I still can't monitor the sound after it gets to the computer/daw, which means I won't be able to know if there are issues, such as glitches, sync problems and the like - though unlikely with a well-tuned system, it is possible and I don't like waiting to find out until I get back to the studio.

If your connected via USB you should be able to output to the PreSonus from your laptop which would be Post SAC/SAW. It would of coarse take up a couple of output channels somewhere, but if they are not all being used than that should be a viable option.

AVB would be the most configurable option. You can route signals to multiple locations simultaneously, so the video booth routing would not be affected by the introduction of a second routing location.

But as you said, you don't have the AVB gear at present so thats not going to help you in the near term. However, if your going to be doing work at this venue on an ongoing basis I would definitely consider that a good option for the future.

I'd be happy to bring over a couple of MOTU boxes you could tryout, but I'm unfortunately not in your zip code.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 11-05-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

If using FlexASIO, is the Presonus driver needed at all?

I've always found it annoying to use Universal Control which is 100 times bigger then the daw we use to install a driver. Also that driver has some quirks like having to reinsert the usb to reinitialize that bus (maybe because windows starts before the series III does). Now that I've said this, I should check to see if there is a new driver or firmware that addresses this...

Here are a couple of AVB boxes that should work for what you want to do. Both of them will route more than 32channels of audio and have a headphone amp built-in that you could route audio back to for monitoring out of SAW/SAC. You would potentially also need an AVB switch if the venue doesn't already have one. The switch would get inserted between the PreSonus AVB output and the Video Booth with a 3rd connection to the AVB interface connected to your laptop.

RME Digiface AVB
    - 256 Channels of Audio
    - Built-in Headhphone Amp
    https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-avb.html

MUTO M64
    - 64 Channels
    - Built-in Headphone Amp
    https://motu.com/products/avb/m64
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Dave... probably not... I suggest using SAC as the console front-end to SAWStudio... it makes for a much nicer overall experience since the SAC console can always be live to keep VST synths active as if they were hardware.... routing is more powerful and monitoring for players is much easier to handle for an overall better virtual studio setup.

Bob L
    Yeah, I know. Might be time to bite the (very reasonably priced) bullet.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Here are a couple of AVB boxes that should work for what you want to do. Both of them will route more than 32channels of audio and have a headphone amp built-in that you could route audio back to for monitoring out of SAW/SAC. You would potentially also need an AVB switch if the venue doesn't already have one. The switch would get inserted between the PreSonus AVB output and the Video Booth with a 3rd connection to the AVB interface connected to your laptop.

RME Digiface AVB
    - 256 Channels of Audio
    - Built-in Headhphone Amp
    https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-avb.html

MUTO M64
    - 64 Channels
    - Built-in Headphone Amp
    https://motu.com/products/avb/m64

This has really got me thinking, so thanks for the suggestions (or should I be cursing the suggestion to buy things?... ha).
    I've got to give this some serious thought. While not giving me an immediate solution, since there's nowhere nearby that I could buy or rent anything like this for this week, I will definitely need to strongly consider an upgrade to my location recording rigs that includes some form of digital connection other than ADAT, which is what my 48-ch racks use now (along with a pair of RME Digiface interfaces).

I should be able to get a better idea of what I have to work with on the school system after tonight. I'm guessing that I will be successful in connecting the laptop to the 32S via USB for this week, even if I can't come up with a way to monitor out of SAC/SAW. I definitely don't want to impose on the soundguy's headphone out access on the 32S.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    If using FlexASIO, is the Presonus driver needed at all?

I've always found it annoying to use Universal Control which is 100 times bigger then the daw we use to install a driver. Also that driver has some quirks like having to reinsert the usb to reinitialize that bus (maybe because windows starts before the series III does). Now that I've said this, I should check to see if there is a new driver or firmware that addresses this...
    I do believe that it's necessary to install the interface driver(s), which includes Universal Control for the Presonus devices, as well as the driver/control software of the Tascam (in my case). FlexASIO depends on this in order to recognize and route them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Yeah, I know. Might be time to bite the (very reasonably priced) bullet.
    I don't believe you will want to go back, if you do, Dave. There will be a brief period of adjustment as you reason through what you want for your SAC front-end to do for you, and then figure out how to set that up in your environment. But then... it's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    ...I've been told to avoid USB cable runs of more than 10ft, so I'm trying to be cautious about that.
    My larger remote recording rig, for which the interface rack uses a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 with a Presonus Digimax FS for a total of 12 mic/line inputs and 3 stereo output pairs, connects to my laptop with a 15 foot USB cable. The 15 foot cable, which is not fancy at all, works perfectly.

However, a recent experience showed me that not all USB cables are created equal. I needed to add another small interface to my studio setup (in this case a Presonus Audiobox 96). I needed an extension cable to reach my computer (kept in a custom baffle box). The extension cable that was originally recommended to me was a Roland "black series" 10 foot extension, which has a very nice looking cloth covering and is supposed to be a better quality cable. When the interface was connected through this cable, Windows could not recognize it, although the power light on the box did come on. I reported this, and they sent me a replacement of the same model. Same result. Then I had them send me their "cheap" (definitely lower priced) Hosa 10 foot extension, which worked perfectly.

So, for use with an audio interface, do NOT assume that a "premium" cable is better than an "ordinary" cable, and make sure that whatever cable you use has been tested at home before you try it "out in the field".
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    My larger remote recording rig, for which the interface rack uses a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 with a Presonus Digimax FS for a total of 12 mic/line inputs and 3 stereo output pairs, connects to my laptop with a 15 foot USB cable. The 15 foot cable, which is not fancy at all, works perfectly.

However, a recent experience showed me that not all USB cables are created equal. I needed to add another small interface to my studio setup (in this case a Presonus Audiobox 96). I needed an extension cable to reach my computer (kept in a custom baffle box). The extension cable that was originally recommended to me was a Roland "black series" 10 foot extension, which has a very nice looking cloth covering and is supposed to be a better quality cable. When the interface was connected through this cable, Windows could not recognize it, although the power light on the box did come on. I reported this, and they sent me a replacement of the same model. Same result. Then I had them send me their "cheap" (definitely lower priced) Hosa 10 foot extension, which worked perfectly.

So, for use with an audio interface, do NOT assume that a "premium" cable is better than an "ordinary" cable, and make sure that whatever cable you use has been tested at home before you try it "out in the field".
    Absolutely advice that I can attest to from experience, when it comes to premium vs. cheap cables. Thanks for that!
    I may actually end up trying one of my own "cheap" usb extension cables just as a way to get out of the way of the main foh desk. I don't like the idea of crowding the soundguy, or being in the way when he needs to quickly get out from behind the desk for something.

It turned out that I wasn't able to try things out on Monday, but I may be able to on Wednesday... and it may be less stressful then anyway, so it should be easier to "test" things out and maybe even get to know the 32S console a little bit.