Close

Default Automation Edit/Save

Hi,

Is there a way to manually edit an existing automation shape as a whole or each of its elements (e.g. fade automation)?
    I don't see any means how to select and manipulate an automation.

Could anyone hint at where to look, or even point me into the corresponding manual section?

Thanks,
    a.

Default Re: Automation Edit/Save

One way to change an existing automation preset is simply to insert it to a marked area in the multitrack. The automation will expand or contract to fill the marked area.

The only way to "edit" an automation preset is to apply it in the multitrack, make your changes, and then resave it as a preset.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thank you for the response.
    But I'm more concerned with the means of actual "change" of an automation already in place - I mean how to manually adjust every element of its shape, e.g. to change fade curvature in a smooth arbitrary way.
    I tried picking elements, but it's hard to pick them exactly, without creating a new one. Is there a more convenient way - without having to tediously pin-point and adjust element lines one by one - like drawing the boundary by mouse, whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
    But I'm more concerned with the means of actual "change" of an automation already in place - I mean how to manually adjust every element of its shape, e.g. to change fade curvature in a smooth arbitrary way.
    I tried picking elements, but it's hard to pick them exactly, without creating a new one. Is there a more convenient way - without having to tediously pin-point and adjust element lines one by one - like drawing the boundary by mouse, whatever?
    You can make a few gross adjustments to any automation in the MT. You can mark the range of automation entries that you'd like to tweak, move them en masse and stretch or shrink that range. You can copy and paste a marked area of automation. You can also offset (change relative to surrounding automation) the values of a particular type of automation by marking all the entries you're interested in (say, a range of fader entries that define a fade-out), then dragging the fader up or down while in Offset Mode.

Changing slope (ramp) values of individual (or many) automation entries is possible using CTL+/ (must be the keypad slash). While shift+/ creates slopes that fill the space between entries with ramp time in order to get ultra-smooth transitions. These operations apply to any marked area of automation.

Use the automation parameter filter (called the View Filter) to impact only a specific automation type.

There's no way to change a fade's curve type, however (linear/logarithmic/concave up or down), without deleting and redrawing the curve manually.

That's about it. Search the help file for "automation" and for "offset" to learn more.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 11-10-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
    The way I typically work is to copy>paste the automation I want to edit to another (usually empty) track;
    modify the automation and if I don't like my modifications, just delete the modified and put the safety back to the track you copied from

For fader automation you can use OFFSET. Personally, I find OFFSET more trouble than it is worth.
    I typically set levels with the Dynamics section and use a mix to zero technique.

Automation Editing is in the manual in section 6.5

I'll cover a couple things, tho to fast track you

1- to shrink or stretch the automation to time:
    in Normal Mode:
    left-click+drag to highlight
    move cursor to begin or end of highlight and cursor changes to and I-beam type shape>
    press and hold alt+ hold left-click and drag to stretch or shrink automation events

2- to navigate to exact automation entry use ctrl+tab to go forward in time and/or shift+ctrl+tab to go back in time.
    Use B and E keys to create your marked area
    e.g.
    navigate to the first automation entry you want to select>
    press B key to set begin point>
    ctrl+tab thru the automation entries to you desired end point and>
    Press E and a marked area should appear
    and you can manipulation the automation from there
    (I actually have an issue with this where the B key often does not work; so I always work backwards, setting my end point first; that workaround ALWAYS works for me)

3- Create an Automation Gallery
    I've developed mine over the years (many years) and use my custom fades all the time in my work.
    This is the way to have automation "presets" for any SS job.

4- I like to avoid having automation sitting in space which can make moving audio and its automation cumbersome,
    I always keep my automation within Region Boundaries where possible.
    You can't do that on output or return tracks, tho

I hope that helps :-)
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    You can make a few gross adjustments to any automation in the MT. You can mark the range of automation entries that you'd like to tweak, move them en masse and stretch or shrink that range. You can copy and paste a marked area of automation. You can also offset (change relative to surrounding automation) the values of a particular type of automation by marking all the entries you're interested in (say, a range of fader entries that define a fade-out), then dragging the fader up or down while in Offset Mode.

Changing slope (ramp) values of individual (or many) automation entries is possible using CTL+/ (must be the keypad slash). While shift+/ creates slopes that fill the space between entries with ramp time in order to get ultra-smooth transitions. These operations apply to any marked area of automation.

Use the automation parameter filter (called the View Filter) to impact only a specific automation type.

There's no way to change a fade's curve type, however (linear/logarithmic/concave up or down), without deleting and redrawing the curve manually.

That's about it. Search the help file for "automation" and for "offset" to learn more.
    Thank you so much for your answers, guys!You've set me to the right direction to dig further.

You betcha.
    Becket, Massachusetts