Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sample rate problem

It's been a while since I've been here. It's good to see a few familiar names!

I have a problem.

This is what I did:
    I recorded into SS using my normal rig. RME converters and interfaces. The sample rate is 44.1
    With another laptop, I recorded the output of a Behringer x32 via USB, also into SS, the sample rate is 48

I was in a huge hurry, or I would have matched the sample rates on both machine. But, I didn't.

When I import the 48k files into the 44.1 session, they are too short. They lose sync, almost immediately. They are off by exactly 8.125 %, the difference between 48k and 44.1k.

I have changed the sample rate of the 48k files to 44.1k using Izotope Rx7. No change. Same issue.
    I have changed just the "change tag only" option in Rx7. No change. Same issue.

I know there is an easy fix for this. I just can't seem to remember what it is. I would rather not have to time stretch all of the files.

What am I missing?

Thank you!
    Scott

Default Re: Sample rate problem

Changing the head tag to a different sample rate will not work that will just play the track at the wrong sample rate (making it both the wrong length and the wrong pitch).

You will have to sample rate convert from 44.1 to 48 or 48 to 44.1 and then use the converted audio files.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Changing the head tag to a different sample rate will not work that will just play the track at the wrong sample rate (making it both the wrong length and the wrong pitch).

You will have to sample rate convert from 44.1 to 48 or 48 to 44.1 and then use the converted audio files.
    That is what I did with Rx. I converted the 48 files to 44.1. No change. I have the same problem.

Scott

Blog Entries

Scott,

Audacity will do the job for you: [Click_Me]

SAW will automatically adjust the samplerate on the fly in the multitrack. You can mix and match rates from one track to another... if you have tracks recorded at 44.1k on the multitrack and other tracks recorded at 48k it should not matter... SAW will match the tracks to whatever the Multitrack session samplerate is set to.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Bob,

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    SAW will automatically adjust the samplerate on the fly in the multitrack.
    ...I thought that SW would easily this this conversion. I am sure I have done this procedure many times in the past...just do not remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I recorded into SS using my normal rig. RME converters and interfaces. The sample rate is 44.1
    With another laptop, I recorded the output of a Behringer x32 via USB, also into SS, the sample rate is 48
    I have changed the sample rate of the 48k files to 44.1k using Izotope Rx7. No change. Same issue.
    I have changed just the "change tag only" option in Rx7. No change. Same issue.
    It sounds like one of the originals was set to 44 and synced to the external clock of 48 (or visa versa) and wound up with the header identifying it at the wrong rate (although is sounds like this was your thinking with rx7). You can run something like soxi (part of sox) on it to get file information to help identify whats going on.

https://sox.sourceforge.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    SAW will automatically adjust the samplerate on the fly in the multitrack. You can mix and match rates from one track to another... if you have tracks recorded at 44.1k on the multitrack and other tracks recorded at 48k it should not matter... SAW will match the tracks to whatever the Multitrack session samplerate is set to.

Bob L
    I'm working on a project right now that has both 44.1k and 48k files on the 44.1k multitrack and it's performing just as Bob said. I wonder what's different in your case.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

Bob L
    Let me try this again:

The tracks play in Saw. They just play too fast. They play too fast by exactly the ratio between 48k and 44.1k.

I don't think this is a Saw issue. But, it's still a problem for me. I need the 48k tracks to play back at 91.875% of their current speed. I can do it with vari-speed. If I set vari-speed for the right rate, it works. But, I would rather solve the file issue than add an effect to fix it.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    It sounds like one of the originals was set to 44 and synced to the external clock of 48 (or visa versa) and wound up with the header identifying it at the wrong rate (although is sounds like this was your thinking with rx7). You can run something like soxi (part of sox) on it to get file information to help identify whats going on.

https://sox.sourceforge.net/
    I think this is what happened. I used to have a utility by John Marshall Smith (?) called "File Investigator", or something. I can't seem to find it. (To many computer changes.)

Maybe this will work.

Thank you!
    Scott