Close

Default An enhancement idea for automation

This one is more for Bob, but I welcome others' opinions, too.

Having recently tried creating and editing automation change entries in SAW, I came up with an idea of possible enhancements.
    While SAW is a very powerful piece of audio software, the way of dealing with automation changes is a bit tiresome. Let's focus on the fade automation type, just for clarity.
    So, the question is how realistic it might be to incorporate a new way of defining the length and slope for an array of automation changes?
    Namely, by using the "traditional" way by "drawing" the fade curve with a mouse. Also, the slope (duration) adjustment might be done by holding and dragging the mouse left/right over the selected changes array. The individual change could be edited the same way, plus the visual pick up (element selection) will be of great help.

While it's just a raw idea, I might elaborate more on this, but I wonder if the implementation could be feasible at all.

Thank you,
    a.

Default Re: An enhancement idea for automation

Not sure I follow all of what you're saying, but it sounds like some of that functionality is already available. Search for "automation" in the help file and go with the first hit: MultiTrack Automation Mode - Editing And Control.

Here's one bit that sounds like something you're asking for (stretching or shrinking a range of automation entries along the time line):
    [Alt-Left-Dragging] an MT Marked Area grabs the nearest boundary and stretches or shrinks all automation entries relative positions within the area, adjusting the playback timing of the automation.

Stretching marked automation responds to selected tracks, performing the operation across multiple tracks at once.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 11-21-2022 at 08:37 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

In automation mode, mark a series of fades (you'll need to hit v if there is other stuff) and then hit the numberpad /. Then try shift /. (note the last marked fade slope remains the same).

You can't do much faster than that to adjust the slopes.

The problem that immediately crops up with suggestions is that there is a multitude of key-bindings and mouse functionality that nearly always interferes with anything anybody suggests. Early on I would have liked overlap with standard program ctrl-x v & c. It wasn't to happen. With this program, you have to make peace with the way it is. There is usually a way to do what you want. The challenge sometimes is finding and remembering how.

There are all kinds of things you can do with automation gallery too - I've never used it - just got used to editing automation in the multitrack.

The automation feature I may use the most is alt-left edge-of-marked-area drag.

I'm so tired of lft-clk-drag for everything in every software; ugh!

I love the way saw works when it comes to automation of NATIVE CONTROLS

JMH- I have spent plenty of time in the past creating my custom automations and adding to the automation gallery

The biggest issue I have with SAWStudio is bypass/un-bypass events in the multitrack
    the only way to verify which plugin is bypassed or on is visually verification of the plugin

if you have several identical plugins and turning them on/off in return tracks to save CPU headroom can be extremely cumbersome

anyway....back to work

I came here today looking for LOCATE POINT info....maybe I'll start a thread on it :-)
    I need more than 25 name-able markers
    The SS User Manual is a bit sparse on Locate Points...
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    I came here today looking for LOCATE POINT info....maybe I'll start a thread on it :-)
    Click on the L button in the MT, next to the 4 quick locate buttons to access the remaining 26 nameable locate points. Use shift/click on a locate number in the list to name it - use ctrl/click to clear it. You can't name those first 4, included in the total list of 30.

Bob has suggested using the Control track instead, when needing more than 26 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post

I like the control track for what seems like unlimited, nameable locate points.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Andrew,

I make liberal use of the automation gallery. Shape your fade, save it to the gallery and pop it into a marked area. Vey simple, vey easy, as a tv chef used to say.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

You can use the Control Track view Cue Location option for unlimited named markers.

Bob L

OK, thanks for those suggestions for control track, much appreciated

Turns out we got away with 29 location zone markers :-)