Close

Default NVMe and multi core CPU

With the grater speed and throughput of an NVMe card on a PCIe buss, can SAW use more of the CPU cores or should we still be opting for single core processing?
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Blog Entries

Default Re: NVMe and multi core CPU

Bill,
    This a question for Bob...as I do believe that the number of cores accessed is a "programming issue"

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    With the grater speed and throughput of an NVMe card on a PCIe buss, can SAW use more of the CPU cores or should we still be opting for single core processing?
    SAW/SAC both use two cores. One for the UI and one for the Engine. Plugins can use more.

The last system build I did was based on this processor

Intel Core i5-11600K Rocket Lake 6-Core 3.9 GHz LGA 1200 125W BX8070811600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 750

I picked this particular CPU because it had one of the fastest single core integer math benchmarks and had a fast native clock speed (3.9 GHz).

At this time AMD may have more optimal processors, but really pretty much anything current generation will be more than capable.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,
    SAW/SAC both use two cores. One for the UI and one for the Engine. Plugins can use more.
    ... Boy! It is great to have you as part of this forum, Philip!

Great! Thank you Philip.
    This helps a lot.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio