Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAC

Default SAC

Hi there,

A few questions about SAC.

In SAC, when I select a group of channels, most actions are carried out on a selected group (like assigning an eq), but not the post/pre FX - only the highlighted channel is affected. Is there a way to apply to the whole group, and why it is done so?

On a more abstract note, what is your opinion on the best hardware controller to use with SAC?
    A related question for Bob: Was a particular model in mind for a SAC design?

Thanks

Default Re: SAC

There are a lot of hardware controllers available. Probably the most useful are the behringer x-touch expanders (faders, mutes, solos, pans for 8-channels at a time).

The software was not designed around any specific controller.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
    ...but not the post/pre FX
    Do you mean tweaking effects parameters? Adding/removing effects?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Do you mean tweaking effects parameters? Adding/removing effects?
    Adding/removing effects

Hi there,

In SAC, when I select a group of channels, most actions are carried out on a selected group (like assigning an eq), but not the post/pre FX - only the highlighted channel is affected. Is there a way to apply to the whole group, and why it is done so?

Thanks
    Not 100% sure, but a couple of things come to mind.

1. plug-ins can be limited to single instances
    2. plug-ins can be massive resource hogs, so you probably wouldn't want to load up a whole range of channels with the same plug-in.

However, you can of course copy and paste FX settings from one channel to a group of channels all at once using the save and restore from cell command.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 12-29-2022 at 08:00 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post

2. plug-ins can be massive resource hogs, so you probably wouldn***8217;t want to load up a whole range of channels with the same plug-in.

However, you can of course copy and paste FX settings from one channel to a group of channels all at once using the save and restore from cell command.
    thank you very much

Adding/removing effects
    Yeah, that's never responded to multiple selected channels in SAWStudio, either. Bob would probably say that, because of any already-patched effects in each selected channel's patch points, there would be no way to determine where the new effect would be placed for each channel. I suppose it could be coded to insert the new effect before the last-selected patched effect for each selected channel, but then that wouldn't be any faster than doing the effect insert channel by channel, because you'd have to go through and click on an effect in each of those channels before executing the insert.

What I think would be handy is if it just defaulted to inserting the effect at the end of, say, the pre-fader patch point for each selected channel, but then we could drag-and-drop the effect (or any patched or unpatched effect for that matter) to where we want it in the effects sequence of either/any of a channel's patch points.

That would likely mean a lot of new code, though. (Says the guy who knows almost nothing about coding. )
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thumbs up Re: SAC

Adding/removing effects
    I'm not sure I understand the problem.....

Although you can't take a group of channels and simply add an effect to all of them at once,
    it's very simple to add an effect (or effects) to a single channel and then copy that channel's fx to a group of channels - complete with the fx settings, if any are made beforehand.

Add your fx to a single channel, use the right-click menu to store the fx to a cell, then right-click one of the grouped channels and choose to recall fx. Works like a charm.

Not as fast as what you want, maybe, but still, very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post

And of course there's that...... not to mention that he's already pointed out what I suggested here - just in different words (I see, after re-reading the post)......
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 12-29-2022 at 01:33 PM.

It occurs to me that the one thing we can't help him with is simply adding a plugin to many channels at once if there are differences in already-patched plugins among those channels.
    Becket, Massachusetts

If you add plugins to one chan then use the Save Chan to memory cell function... then select multiple chans and use the recall FX from memory cell option it will add the plugins to all selected chans at once.

Bob L