Close

Blog Entries

Default Processor Power Management

Hello,

Any comments/Suggestions

What I have thus gleaned:

Processor Power Management

Minimum Processor state
    This option specifies the minimum processor performance state.
    The performance state is specified as a percentage of maximum processor frequency. You may keep any value between 5% and 100% depending on your Power Option in use.

System Cooling Policy
    This policy setting configures how Windows responds to high thermal conditions on systems that support active cooling features, such as fans. You have two options. Active and Passive.
    1. Active: It increases fan speed before slowing down the processor. The system enables active cooling features such as fans before it reduces the processor performance.
    2. Passive: It slows the processor before increasing fan speed. The system reduces the processor performance before it enables active cooling features such as fans.

Maximum Processor state
    It specifies the maximum processor performance state. The performance state is specified as a percentage of maximum processor frequency. If you find that your laptop is over-heating, you may want to consider setting its maximum value to 90%.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Processor Power Management

Good day,

Anyone?

My son just built a $4800 system for "serious gaming" and I am hoping to obtain a better understanding of the above...thanks!

Basicaly you can use min/max to define the range of the CPU frequency.
    Modern CPUs are able adapt their frequency to the current load conditions, thus saving energy.
    Minimum and Maximum Processorstate define the upper and lower limit. Your settings lock the frequency to 99% of the cpu's rated frequency.

Cooling policy: This defines how an expected increase of the cpu temperature will be avoided. Active will keep the cpu's frequency and increase the rpm of the CPU fan, the passive policy will reduce the cpu's frequency to reduce power and limit temperature.
    The passive policy is intended for pcs without fans (where it is the only possible way to limit the cpu temperature) or for situations where a real quite pc is needed. For all other purposes use the active policy.
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Blog Entries

Tomy,

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated!

What you have suggested is pretty much what I have ascertained as well!

Thanks again!