Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Copy regions from one edl to another

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    RE: B and E keys

Just to say I have disconnected my PS2 keyboard and experience the same issues.
    Frankly, the only reliable workaround I know of is to create a MARKED AREA with a
    Lft-Click mouse drag before navigating to any automation entries and then use B and E keys

Trying to create a marked area using only keyboard presses is utterly unreliable for me.
    Maybe I have misunderstood the B and E key functionality since day 1?

From the RTFM regarding the MULTITRACK EDITING AND CONTROL:
    "The [B] key marks the begin point of a Marked Area. The [E] key marks the end point. If aMarked Area already exists, these options serve to extend or shrink the existing Marked Area
    size."

There, proving I've been doing it wrong
    A marked area has to already exist before B and E keys work in the MultiTrack

It appears my confusion comes from how the SOUNDFILE view works verses the MultiTrack view:
    From the RTFM regarding the SOUNDFILE VIEW EDITING AND CONTROL:
    "Pressing the [B] key or [Left-Clicking] the Mrk Beg zone during playback will start building aMarked Area. Pressing the [E] key or [Left-Clicking] the Mrk End zone will end the Marked Area,
    continuing playback."

You think you know the basics....and then realize 20 years later you (I) been doing it wrong for most of the time. facepalm
    OMG....and I still don't understand

"During Playback" verses placing the play cursor manually yields different results;

Creating Marked Areas During Playback, B and E keys work the same in both MT and SF views; reliably

I usually do not create marked areas "during playback"; my typical usage is to ctrl-tab to automation entries and set a marked area...therefore, my work flow has to be "adjusted" to always lft-drag to create a marked area first and then ctrl-tab to set B and E points...which is how SAW is designed to work afaiaa

Now you've got me wondering about this.

I find when the multitrack is 'on-top', I can tap b or e. If I move the cursor up or down the timeline and tap the counterpart, if it encloses a positive space, (b is to the left of e), it marks that area. It doesn't have to be previously marked.

If it encloses a negative space, it unmarks setting the b or e that you just struck. I'm not really sure what or if anything happens to the counterpart, I think I usually hit them both in quick succession when unmarking an area.

Might it be something like initiating playback with spacebar (nearly always use this) vs r-click vs transport click play (I never do this - does this make transport on-top)?
    Last edited by jmh; 04-16-2023 at 02:18 PM.

Not sure where the confusion lies... I can simply press the B key and then further down the timeline press the E key in the MT to create a marked area... if the area is cleared I can then do it again over and over and it seems to work every time.

If the area is cleared and I just press the E key first, the marked area will appear using the old B key position as long as the E key is pressed further down the timeline.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Not sure where the confusion lies... I can simply press the B key and then further down the timeline press the E key in the MT to create a marked area... if the area is cleared I can then do it again over and over and it seems to work every time.

If the area is cleared and I just press the E key first, the marked area will appear using the old B key position as long as the E key is pressed further down the timeline.

Bob L
    Hi Bob,
    what you describe is what I thought was the process...and what I thought I had been doing all these years

what you describe does not work for me

I must create a marked area before the B and E keys will mark the beginning or end of a marked area whether in MT or SF window
    the only way the B key marks a beginning and E key marks end of a marked area in a window clear of marked areas for me is during playback

I'm not confused about it, that is what is happening at my workstation, as I described it above:-)

Maybe the issue is the Logi Craft...I'll try the same test with the old PS2 keyboard and report back

also, what exactly do you mean by "further down the timeline"?
    how did you arrive further down the timeline? mouse move the cursor? with no playback in between?

OK
    confirmed with an old Gateway keyboard connected directly to the mobo and Logi Craft disconnected

on my machine:
    B and E keys only mark begin or end points of a marked area if;
    1- a marked area already exists;
    or
    2- during playback

I suppose my install is corrupted or something else is causing the issue
    maybe the presence of the Logi Craft driver?
    old SawLite config files on drives (in other folders)....I don't know

A fresh SS64 install would be a pain...and hasn't helped me in the past either

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Now you've got me wondering about this.

I find when the multitrack is 'on-top', I can tap b or e. If I move the cursor up or down the timeline and tap the counterpart, if it encloses a positive space, (b is to the left of e), it marks that area. It doesn't have to be previously marked.

If it encloses a negative space, it unmarks setting the b or e that you just struck. I'm not really sure what or if anything happens to the counterpart, I think I usually hit them both in quick succession when unmarking an area.

Might it be something like initiating playback with spacebar (nearly always use this) vs r-click vs transport click play (I never do this - does this make transport on-top)?
    "If I move the cursor up or down the timeline"
    bear with me...what exactly do you mean? earlier or later in the timeline is what I suppose you mean...by what method? mouse? tab? playback?
    "up and down" is navigating from track to track in my usage...

95% of the time I always press the C key to clear marked areas...or if dragging mouse to fully unmark a marked area happens sometimes

looks like we need an in person or video meeting (facepalm)....or maybe just I do

I never rght-clk to engage playback, either...only on accident :-) I almost always use spacebar, too

Sorry, by down the timeline, I mean the cursor to the right - or further along in time.

I got some time to do some editing today and I tried to pay attention to the b & e keys for a moment (but quickly reverted to autopilot). I think if the waveform display area is the last thing you have touched with a mouse click, the b & e will always work as you would expect - but if it was the timeline, or some other portion of the display, that may not be the case.

When you consider that the timeline has special mouse properties regarding marking areas, that makes sense.

I didn't try seeking an automation point with ctrl-tab or ctrl-shift-tab, but it is quite possible - and even likely, that they are operational under different circumstances (than b & e) - I believe that is the only way to seek the next automation entry - in which case, there would be no mouse action that would defeat it. Could differences in that functionality explain how you perceive b & e behavior?

Hi, I don't know if it can help but : I try on SawStudio full 32 bit With no playback, mouse over the time line, B and E keys work fine to make a marked range. So if i move the mouse to the right and click E, the marked range is extented to this new point. If I go to the left and tape B the marked range begin at this new point. Regards

To illustrate some oddities:

click waveform at 50 seconds hit b
    click wf at 40, hit e (both are set, but e is before b, so nothing is marked)
    now click timeline at 20
    click wf at 30, hit b. Nothing is marked - so the timeline click overwrote the previous e.

now mark an area say 10 to 20 seconds.

Click wf at 40, hit b
    click wf at 30, hit b - so the previous b made an implicit e

In the opposite situation, this works with e.

make the hot track one with automation entries.
    Now click one of the mixer view (which will seize focus - b & e now do not mark).

Ctrl-tab & Ctrl-shift-tab still function.

None of this means anything is broken, but it is confusing - and there may be other exceptions I have not identified. I didn't know all of this until now - and it's okay when I forget it tomorrow - because my typical editing moves don't tend to encounter these particulars, or I've unconsciously learned to avoid them.

I have not used ctrl-tab as navigation for marking as Todd described. I think Todd's keyboard may be functioning normally, but there is something in his workflow that is encountering these nuances in the way these features function more than with the way others of us use the interface. Once that is identified, he may be able to make an adjustment.

If there is anything I've noticed participating on this forum is that there are many different objectives which steer us all to do things somewhat differently. None of them are necessarily wrong.

edit: adjusting a region boundary with the u key also has an impact on a marked area.
    Last edited by jmh; 04-21-2023 at 04:13 AM.

Uh, I don't think I'm doing something notably different than most SAW users
    I'm explaining as well as I can my navigation moves

I have the B & E key anomalies I have explained in this thread whether starting a session fresh or having had the session open and churning away for hours....I've just very clearly explained my nav moves (If I type "tape" when I meant to type "tap" I will proof-read and fix my typo). I'm not jumping from window to window in a frenzy within in SAW blindly tapping every button in front of me and hoping something will to go right; I'm highly aware of which window has focus when I am editing and making very deliberate moves.

suffice to say, I am not experiencing the same functionality as explained in the SS manual or that others are speaking of here...if the inconsistency is on my end, it's my computer with the issues...why I'm having a different experience I cannot explain at this time

my intention is not to troll, just to verify what is going on for me as compared to the instructions for the use of SAW and if others might be experiencing similar issues that I am...it appears as though I am alone, so I'll learn to cope....and I shall endeavour to test on other machines that I have here, altho I am busy as well with other things not SAW related