Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BFG Alternative Workflow In SS64?

It has finally come to pass. I moved to SS64 a while back, and I finally have another VO project that will require a zillion output files. BFG (JMS' Batch File Generator) was a godsend under SS32. Does anyone here have a work-flow in SS64 that he/she is happy with that reasonably imitates the utility of BFG?

The obvious answer is to simply do the project in SS32. Alas, staying current with UAD updates has forced their nowadays-64-bit-only paradigm upon me. And I sure don't feel like reinstalling an old UAD software version.

Wait... I think Jbridge is supposed to able to bridge 64-bit VSTs into a 32-bit host. Eureka?

Before I go there... anyone have an elegant solution in SS64?

Many thanks.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: BFG Alternative Workflow In SS64?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    It has finally come to pass. I moved to SS64 a while back, and I finally have another VO project that will require a zillion output files. BFG (JMS' Batch File Generator) was a godsend under SS32. Does anyone here have a work-flow in SS64 that he/she is happy with that reasonably imitates the utility of BFG?

The obvious answer is to simply do the project in SS32. Alas, staying current with UAD updates has forced their nowadays-64-bit-only paradigm upon me. And I sure don't feel like reinstalling an old UAD software version.

Wait... I think Jbridge is supposed to able to bridge 64-bit VSTs into a 32-bit host. Eureka?

Before I go there... anyone have an elegant solution in SS64?

Many thanks.
    This is the exact reason why I haven't upgraded to SAWStudio64 yet - I need the JMS Batch Generator and Cue Sheet Generator, along with some other Sonoris and JMS automateable native plugins, for my standard work flow in my mastering jobs. I was in contact with both Jon Marshall Smith from JMS, and Pieter Stenekes from Sonoris a few years ago when SAWStudio64 first came out, and they both were agreeable about updating their plugins to the new 64bit API, but made it clear they needed documentation from Bob on how to do this. I was also in touch with Bob around that time, and he stated that he would try and get them documentation within a few months of our communication, but unfortunately it seems this documentation was never provided to them.

The one third party plugin developer that seems to have been able to port their plugins for both SAWStudio 32 and 64 bit is Elements - http://elements.byethost3.com/plugin...tudio.html?i=1
    Perhaps we could contact him to see if he could develop a 64bit replacement for the JMS BFG - if he is up for the task I would be willing to kick in some cash towards its development for sure. The email I have for him is elementsplugins@gmail.com

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSonic View Post
    Perhaps we could contact him to see if he could develop a 64bit replacement for the JMS BFG - if he is up for the task I would be willing to kick in some cash towards its development for sure. The email I have for him is elementsplugins@gmail.com
    Worth a shot. I will if you will.

Anybody else want to jump in? It was a darned useful tool, BFG was.

UPDATE: I've sent him an email explaining our plight and asking if he'd consider it. It'd be great if others did, too. Please and thank you.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-21-2023 at 10:48 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

UPDATE: I've sent him an email explaining our plight and asking if he'd consider it. It'd be great if others did, too. Please and thank you.
    I sent him an email today as well. Here's hoping that he is interested.

I guess we could also try and contact JMS and Sonoris once again, to see if they would still consider doing the work towards updating their plugins, as well as try and get Bob to provide the documentation to update the SAW64 plugin api's to them.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Last edited by TotalSonic; 02-21-2023 at 08:23 PM.

I would jump in if we can get cue sheet generator in the sites also!
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I would jump in if we can get cue sheet generator in the sites also!
    For that then we are perhaps better with trying to contact Jon Marshall Smith and Bob Lentini to see if Jon would still be amenable to updating the JMS plugins, if Bob could provide the documentation for the SAWStudio 64 plugin API to him. Think I might try to do that again, starting with Bob Lentini.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

I heard back from (the other) Bob at Elements. He's looking over BFG and asking some really good questions about it's functionality. Fingers crossed...
    Becket, Massachusetts

An update to this - Bojan (Bob) from Elements has sent me an early alpha version of his "SFE" (Sound File Extractor) for 32bit SAWStudio, which he is confident could be built for SAWStudio64 as well, as proof of concept. The basics of it are working, with it able to output 24bit AIFF at this point, but it needs a bit of additional work adding features, getting bugs out and making the gui more functional. It is a promising start!

If folks would like to send Elements some words of encouragement, or any cash in appreciation of his coding time to date his email and PayPal are both at elementsplugins@gmail.com

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Following many weeks of alpha and beta testing, our good friend Bojan with Elements Plug-ins has reached what he feels is a releasable version of his Sound File Extractor (SFE) native plug-in for both SAWstudio 32- and 64-bit versions. This plug-in has many of the same features as Jon Marshall Smith's venerable Batch File Generator, allowing us to define and output multiple sound files from a single SAWStudio session, only now for SAWStudio64 as well!

Bojan has generously put SFE up on his site as donationware. As a SAWStudio fan, he's put in many, many hours over the last couple months developing this software for our benefit. If you find SFE useful to what you do (I do!), PLEASE show him our appreciation by contributing what you can for this very welcome addition to the SAWStudio tool box. (I don't see a donation link on his site, so, TFN, you can use his email address, which Steve says will work with Paypal: elementsplugins@gmail.com).

http://elements.byethost3.com/plugins_sawstudio.html

NOTE that there are also a bunch of other very useful native and VST (2 and 3) plug-ins available on his site.

[In its current state SFE requires that the included "Output Files" folder live in SAWStudio's Native_Plugins folder. My suggestion is to point one of your session's Library Views to this folder for easy access from within SS.

There are also currently some focus issues which can result in certain pop-up functions (Output Folders and SFE (help file) buttons) remaining "behind" the SS interface. Recommend using Alt+tab or the Windows task bar to get to them. FYI.]
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-08-2023 at 01:16 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Hey Dave,

Please remind us of how you use BFG and on what types of projects.

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com