Close

Default Building a Large SAC Rig

I have learned a lot in these last couple of months on my SAC journey. It would be really nice if the Sticky FAQ at the top of this forum could be updated! I'd happily volunteer if I had the knowledge.

So please correct me where I'm wrong. If I wanted to build up to a 32 channel system, I would use the RME Ray-Dat card and four Behringer ADA8200 interfaces. The interfaces would plug into the RayDat card via Toslink cables, and I'd have 32 ins and outs.

What if I wanted 64 channels? Do I buy a second RayDat card and keep adding interfaces? Does the computer see multiple RayDat cards as one? Or am I better off at that point to go with one of the major brand's (like Yamaha) stagebox, and connect via a MADI or Dante card? If that's the case, how do I control the stagebox preamp controls which, on the whole, seem to be made to work with that company's own console system?

Thank you for your thoughts,

John Francis
    Rolla, MO

Blog Entries

Default Re: Building a Large SAC Rig

John,

Not to come off sounding "curt" here, but have you looked at the specs for an RME Ray-Dat card? [Click_Me]

What is stated is the following: 1) 4x ADAT I/O - with an additional 4x ADAT I/O.

Each 1x ADAT I/O can accommodate 8 channels - in-and-out.

• So, 1xADAT I/O = 8, 4xADAT I/O=32
    • With the additional, add-on 4xADAT I/O, you now have 4xADAT I/O=32 plus 4xADAT I/O=32, equals 64
    • Therefore, 1 RME Ray-Dat card could accommodate 64 channels - with the appropriate number of interfaces being employed as well.

IN SAC, the hardware ins-and-outs are displayed as "stereo pairs". For example:
    • ASIO - HDSP9632 ADAT 1
    • ASIO - HDSP9632 ADAT 3
    • ASIO - HDSP9632 ADAT 5
    • ASIO - HDSP9632 ADAT 7
    • ...and so on...

In SAC, you then have the option of assigning each of the above to a channel - or indeed "to channels", as either 1) stereo [01-02], or 2) mono [01]

Now, if you exceed the capabilities of a single RME Ray-Dat card [of 64 channels], you would then need to install a second RME Ray-Dat card - thus making provision for an additional 64 channels.

I do hope that this all makes sense?

1. The RayDAT card is good for 32channels of ADAT In/Out. (there are a couple more channels via TOS which is helpful for bridging internal audio from the mother board).
    2. Yes, you can use multiple RayDAT cards in a system to expand the channel count in blocks of 32channels
    3. You can also use stage-box style options like Yamaha, Behringer/Midas, MOTU, PreSonus. Each of these options will have a different methodology for connecting to the host computer.
    4. Remote control of stage box type solutions is handled through additional software not directly in SAC (at least at this time).

NOTE: the 64 Channels Dell listed is total channel count. But it is divided into 32ch in and 32ch out.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 02-21-2023 at 11:01 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

As I understand it you would need a second card for 64/72 ins and outs:

The HDSPe RayDAT provides unique features:

• 4 x ADAT digital I/O, supporting 192 kHz via S/MUX4 operation
    • 1 x SPDIF digital I/O, 192 kHz-capable
    • 1 x AES/EBU digital I/O, 192 kHz-capable
    • 2 x MIDI I/O, 32 channels high-speed MIDI via breakout cable
    • Up to 36 inputs and 36 outputs can be used simultaneously!
    • DIGICheck, RME's unique metering- and analysing tool
    • TotalMix: 2592 channel mixer with 42 bit internal resolution
    • Native PCI Express - no PCI to PCI Express bridge used
    • S/MUX poured in hardware: 16 channels 24-bit/96kHz for record and playback on ADAT optical
    • HDSPe RayDAT includes SteadyClockTM, RME's own clock technology, combining professional features like maximum
    • jitter suppression at full varipitch capabilities and software controlled sample rates.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    John,

Not to come off sounding "curt" here, but have you looked at the specs for an RME Ray-Dat card? [Click_Me]

I did read the specs Dell, but I have to admit to some confusion. Thanks for helping to clear it up!

Dell,

Where do you see the thing about an additional 32 channels capability? I don't see it.

It appears that to get additional channels you'd have to get a second RayDAT and then buy the word clock module for each to run a cable between them for sync. Unless you want to sacrifice channel count and use up an ADAT port on each for sync. Or maybe you could coax-daisy-chain your AD/DAs for word clock sync across all your I/O?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

You are absolutely correct here...
    my bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post

It appears that to get additional channels you'd have to get a second RayDAT and then buy the word clock module for each to run a cable between them for sync. Unless you want to sacrifice channel count and use up an ADAT port on each for sync. Or maybe you could coax-daisy-chain your AD/DAs for word clock sync across all your I/O?
    You don't need the word clock module. The cards can be synced internally with a simple two conductor wire. You don't have to sacrifice channel count.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    You don't need the word clock module. The cards can be synced internally with a simple two conductor wire. You don't have to sacrifice channel count.
    Nice. I guess I missed that in my ten-second RayDAT spec scan today.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts