Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Windows 11 Bug and SATA SSDs

>but for office workers or for digital audio, I really do not see how this would ever be an issue.

Hey, sometimes office workers want a good quality mechanical keyboard to use too. Like the pleasures of driving a Porsche or a Benz if you drive a lot - if you spend your entire day typing - why not enjoy it?

>AV=Aniti-Virus

You are professionally anti anti-virus? I dunno... Every time but once, Dell. Back in the eighties I spent over a day re-writing my FAT table by hand after downloading a new 'game' from a bulletin board. Granted, that was pre-AV. But my point is: viruses are no fun. Better to avoid them but, lacking that, better to have something watching out for you in case you don't.

Blog Entries

John,

We are "goin' a bit south here..."...however...for interest, I wrote an article back in 2002 entitled, "Safe Surfing" - which focused on some simple principles that I had previously taught my kids - that there are really only three types of Web-sites that one might visit namely, "safe", "non-safe" and "dark".

I can state with certainty that majority of the issues facing my clients was from inappropriate software being installed on their systems - most often not being virus-related!

I have heard that saying "Got to say up-to-date, so never to suffer from such a fate!" too many times to mention. And yet, though viruses were an issue, such situations were minuscule in relationship to software updating.

If AV's are important - which one then? I worked as a programmer for a company that used "heuristics" in their application. A rather unique approach at the time. I also worked for Norton for a time. What I learnt from that time was that such software is generally focused on the negative aspects of computer usage - where I tend to focus on the
    more positive aspects of computer usage.

In the end, each one to their own...but I tend not to focus on the reactive aspects of computing, but rather the proactive aspects of computing.

If I may ask, what AV do you use...and why?

> I also worked for Norton for a time.

Really? When did you work there? Peter Norton wrote my all-time favorite PC utilities before he sold the company. Real surgical PC utilities. Loved 'em. The guy had a real knack for getting to the crux of what he was trying to do without bloat. Having been one of the people who wrote DOS, he understood it inside and out. And, having become a technical magazine writer next, he could briefly explain what was otherwise commonly considered arcane in a way that anyone could understand. I learned how the FAT OS worked from the pamphlet that came with those first few issues of the Norton Utilities. Brilliant guy.

> If I may ask, what AV do you use...and why?

I typically switch around, on a vague, paranoid, "keep 'em guessing" strategy. For the last couple of decades, I've actually bought mine. Before that, I used what was currently free. I used to take "best-of" articles on current antivirus as gospel. But then I realized that they rarely agree, leading to questions of payola for me. So, I've used a lot of different ones over the years. I currently use WebRoot - and I have for several years. I was planning on switching this year, on GP, but woke up one morning recently and realized I waited too long and had no AV protection. The fastest way back was to immediately re-up. I'm talkin' before coffee. So, I'll be with them for at least one more year.

I don't know which one is best really - if such a thing exists. And I'm also convinced that if a truly talented hacker really wants into your net-connected, consumer-hardware, machine in particular, and is willing to spend the time, no power on Earth will stop them. Therefore, presuming that one doesn't stick out in some other way, the reasonable strategy is not to be randomly discovered to be low-hanging fruit - like being the guy that doesn't run an AV.

But that's me.

Blog Entries

John,

This would have been back in 1995-1997...and then took on some contract work for Miroslav Trnka at NOD - now ESET. Due to NDA's, I am unable to state what that work consisted of, but it was fascinating!

The AV that comes with WIN10 is actually very, very good.

Oh - you do use one. I thought you indicated you didn't. Carry on then.

Yeah, like I said, I have no real way of knowing how to compare one against another. The main thing, to me, is to be using one. And if you can do it without them violating your privacy (see free versions of commercial AVs) all the better.

I love midnight commander, a text approach to a graphical interface on linux (which is my work environment). It is modeled on the great 'Norton Commander' which was ideally laid out, ran fast, was reliable, efficient and packed into a tiny executable (kind of the reasons we like saw).