Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default FX Automation: Multiple Instances Of Same Can Be Confusing

FX Automation: Multiple Instances Of Same Cane Be Confusing
    How do other SS users deal with this?
    different FX on different input channels?

I usually use the return channels

but if I need 5 different EQ "presets" in the same return track, it can be a BEAR to figure out which one is engaged or bypassed

maybe some of you use different input or output (bus) tracks? I mean that could work for me...it'll just make the jobs a little trickier to navigate

Or maybe you never find yourself working that way?

with short form, it's not an issue; but long form can be pretty tough

I've tried using Groups because they can be named, but I find the first effect in the group is what appears in the Pre/Post FX lists; so, no help there

I'm pretty sure I already posted about this...asking about a different color automation event per FX in the list

anyway, thanks for any input :-)
    Last edited by Todd R; 08-15-2023 at 12:46 AM.
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Blog Entries

Default Re: FX Automation: Multiple Instances Of Same Cane Be Confusing

Do you use Automation View Filter Mode? Starts at 7:02 of this video.

Last edited by Microstudio; 08-14-2023 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post

Yes, thanks....I was thinking that, but haven't seriously employed the V key filtering for my specific question; I'll give it a go and report back

Your videos were very helpful in 2012 for me, thanks for doing them...
    they demystified not least of all the "key entry"
    Re-Watching this, I realize I've been needing to use selected automation nudge...thanks for the refresher
    I mix more than just music

Have you made a video showing how to automate multiple instances of the same plugin on the same track? I'd love to see such a video.
    Preferably in use...not simply a quick how-to :-)

Here's a screenshot of the current 90 min film I'm working on. I need to change NR and EQ settings from scene to scene. Again, short form is fine; long form is more of a challenge
    I haven't started my FX automation yet, btw...Control Track events are a to do list, essentially...labelled markers

Last edited by Todd R; 08-15-2023 at 01:38 AM.

Oh boy, yeah I did start a thread on this in March 2023...

Blog Entries

When you say "automate multiple instances of the same plugin on the same track?" what plugins are you talking about? If they are Saw plugins you just press the A and automate anything you want.

Blog Entries

Looking at the pic you posted I see some EQ, DeNoise, DeClick, Extract Audio, and Fab stuff.

Not sure why you would use a plugin to extract audio when there is a free program that will do it to any audio separating everything and then you can just put that audio into your library. https://www.stemroller.com/

EQ, there are Plugins made for SAWStudio you can use. http://elements.byethost3.com/plugin...tudio.html?i=1

Also any Sound restoration DeClick, DeNoise can be done without a DAW.

The point here is you fix all audio to get it ready to mix rather than fix the audio while you mix.
    Last edited by Microstudio; 08-15-2023 at 06:01 PM.

Looking at the pic you posted I see some EQ, DeNoise, DeClick, Extract Audio, and Fab stuff.

Not sure why you would use a plugin to extract audio when there is a free program that will do it to any audio separating everything and then you can just put that audio into your library. https://www.stemroller.com/

EQ, there are Plugins made for SAWStudio you can use. http://elements.byethost3.com/plugin...tudio.html?i=1

Also any Sound restoration DeClick, DeNoise can be done out of Sawstudio.

The point here is you fix all audio to get it ready to mix rather than fix the audio while you mix.
    Oh you want me to to change my workflow and pre mix?!? And use a different DAW? Why on earth would I do that?!? Which DAWs do you have in mind? Adobe Audition? Audacity? WaveLab? I'm really curious about that.

I guess you are saying that is what YOU would do; which is the question I was asking...

There's no way I'm gonna pre mix and bounce this stuff...then find more problems and have to go back to the premix and re-bounce...
    years of experience have guided me in that regard...
    Especially when I have plenty of power to process this "real" time...
    the ONLY time I do that is when I run out of juice...and my MT Load is around 15% at the mo...Pro-Q3 maybe hits MT Load at 2%? I think less

I like the Acon and FF plugs and have been using them for years. Actually the same plugs on every job.
    Acon's Extract Dialog is fantastic and not expensive...it's not an "extract audio" function- it's NR filtering.
    Works better than most any NR on talking that I have ever used. NR is required for all these location recordings...buzzes, RF, wind noise, clothes rustle, etc

Pro-Q3 runs circles around SS native EQ; the Spectral display is a gem of a tool I use daily in every job.
    SS doesn't have a native spectral display as you know.
    I'm not even going to play around with trying setting up dynamic EQ in native SS, when Pro-Q3 works brilliantly.

I have Sonnox plugs too which I use upon occasion, you want me to not use them either? Sonnox De-Buzzer is an excellent tool which I don't know of a better one.

Again, musical instrument recording in a controlled environment is one thing; the sources I'm working on have all kinds of issues that cannot be re-recorded.
    And SS, visually is the best tool for this type of work I've ever used.
    Last edited by Todd R; 08-15-2023 at 06:51 AM.

Seriously, the NR that Acon Extract Dialog does is simply incredible-
    it would take hours and hours to try to attempt fix these issues in SAW and to waste time processing NR in another DAW makes no sense to me.
    Plus you'll likely not get there without comping some kind of atmos cover.

Acon ED will filter out an ear-shattering RF blast over a radio mic with ease...you aren't easily doing such a task easily with SAW native and still retain wanted part of the performance.

And I don't know of a better DAW for zooming in to waveforms; SAW is the best for that IME
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

So I watched this again, and as I said before, your videos are very helpful...reminding me of little things I seldom use

Thing is, in this video about SS Automation; you miss a very, very important functionality of SS:
    ALL automatable parameters reside together on the same layer in different colored events
    so you could have volume fader, pan, dynamics, eq, aux and various console parameters' event
    all layered on top of each other in the same area of time
    You don't demonstrate this in your video, and really should because that is the unique beauty of SS automation handling.

Hence the need for AUTOMATION VIEW filter engaged by pressing the V key
    Further, the colors are related sections of the console, so for example EQ is red for every EQ subset parameter;
    this where the V key Automation View toggle becomes absolutely critical.

Also should be pointed out that automation view needs to disengaged for static console settings,
    otherwise any console parameter change will be written in automation and that's something which can easily catch users out.

Further, automation slopes can be changed with marked areas, which I use all the time

So, I have started using SS EQ for wind noise and it is working fairly well , so thanks micro for pushing the idea :-)