Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: JUCE!

Default Re: OT: JUCE!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,

You stated, "Juce is an open source library. Meaning it could be patched to fix the issue in SAC/SAW..." ..."True"...but only at the behest or interest of the original developer. Thus, if the original developer has no interest in pursuing the matter, the no further steps would be taken!

The following is typical of that which I have received for those whom i have reached out to...six in all...

"Juce is VERY MUCH an industry standard at this point. My guess is that most plugin developers are using it. SAC, on the other hand, is a product that I***8217;ve only heard of one customer using, that is you. If the SAC developer is insisting that the issue is not his, but is rather a Juce issue, I would ask why Juce plugins successfully run in Pro Tools, Logic, Live, Cubase, FL Studio, Studio One, Bitwig, Reaper, Reason, Garage Band, etc. In general, I would suggest moving on to a modern DAW that is being actively developed. A lot of Windows users that work ***8220;closer to the metal***8221; are very happy with Reaper, which is a $60 investment, and is free to try out."[Emphasis mine]

Of the six, only one had ever heard of SAC...or SAW for that matter. All six said that I should consider Reaper as an alternative!
    Very disappointing indeed

That would be the most useful approach with the added benefit that it would potentially fix all of the plug-ins utilizing the library.

You then stated, "Perhaps it would be useful to reach out to the Juce development community and see if its possible to find somebody that would be interested in fixing the bug." Good suggestion...thanks for this. I will contact two of the developers whom I have worked closely with and ask them if this might be a possible solution to the "problem". I will keep you posted as to what their response is.
    Open source means its not dependent on the original developer.

Just have to find somebody interested in contributing. As for the brush off from the original developer, that is of coarse disappointing and also ignorant as reaper is not even a remote replacement for SAC (which is primarily where the bug is occurring - since Scenes don't exist in Saw Studio)
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

What kinds of bugs are we talking about?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-15-2024 at 10:11 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

See first post...paragraph four...

Blog Entries

Good day,

MMP [Link]: Can you please provide detailed info as to how to recreate this anomaly?

UpTilDawn [Link]: Can you please do the same?

In particular, what is the "trigger" that causes this anomaly to occur?
    * For example, in SAC, it is when a scene is updated that this anomaly occurs.
    * I have created a 9 minute video that clearly displays this anomaly...sadly, which I am NOT allowed to present.

Random freezes in SAWStudio64. Mostly with a few plugins. Izotope***8217;s Insight2 freezes a lot. but, other Juce based plugins are fine. Not sure what the issue is, but it seems to happen more often as the session has been open for a long time, so I would guess some kind of memory leak. Restarting the session seems to reset the countdown clock to new freezes.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Issues for me have been limited to SAW, since I rarely need to use fx in SAC in the studio (and why I haven't posted this in the SAC forum before).
    But that being said, freezes probably occur after long sessions, as MMP observed, except that my issues are mostly with Sonible fx.
    The issues with the graphic controls not displaying when i open a plugin in SAW maybe happen from having a session open for a long time, as above, but I'm not sure, since I often will leave a session open overnight and it maybe just "feels" to me like it's new when I start working.

"No display" does seem to be more random than that, however. But I couldn't begin to guess what the "trigger" is for this.

Hot patching/removing more recently released plugins has become an issue for me in SAW64 as well.
    I compensate, first by taking snapshots and saving sessions far more frequently than I ever needed to before and secondly, by stopping playback before patching/removing almost all plugins now.

I've also begun to experience random crashes in SAW64 when placing certain of the most recent plugins I've purchased after SAW Levelizer - most probably analyzer plugins like Sonible True Level (is there a pattern here, I wonder?), or Voxengo Span (IIRC). SAW doesn't seem to like plugins to be placed after the Levelizer - even if I only engage them long enough to check levels, etc.

But it's the combination of affects that has left me with the feeling that my pc is just not up to the demand of the newer fx and so, have not even considered this JUCE possibility as a cause.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 01-13-2024 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I've also begun to experience random crashes in SAW64 when placing certain of the most recent plugins I've purchased after SAW Levelizer - most probably analyzer plugins like Sonible True Level (is there a pattern here, I wonder?), or Voxengo Span (IIRC). SAW doesn't seem to like plugins to be placed after the Levelizer - even if I only engage them long enough to check levels, etc.
    I know I have buffer-size-changing issues with some plugins following the Levelizer when it's doing one of its buffer-size-changing things (like normalizing and/or peak limiting). Could that be the thing, here? A test would be to not use those features and just do some simple compression or something with the Levelizer. Of course, if you're like me, that won't be much help because I'm almost always using the Levelizer exclusively for exactly those functions.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Dave,

See first post...paragraph four...
    Thanks. And what do you mean by "plug-in stalls"?
    Becket, Massachusetts

* I have created a 9 minute video that clearly displays this anomaly...sadly, which I am NOT allowed to present.
    Really? How could that be? I don't believe you.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I know I have buffer-size-changing issues with some plugins following the Levelizer when it's doing one of its buffer-size-changing things (like normalizing and/or peak limiting). Could that be the thing, here? A test would be to not use those features and just do some simple compression or something with the Levelizer. Of course, if you're like me, that won't be much help because I'm almost always using the Levelizer exclusively for exactly those functions.
    You're probably right about that. I just haven't taken much time to investigate. I'll check it out and report back.