Close

Blog Entries

Default SOT: Window "Shadows"

Good day,

On pages 18/26 of the SAC User Manual, information is provided with regards to 1) Show shadows under mouse pointer and 2) Show shadows under windows.
    • See pages 25/32 in the SAW User manual as well...

I am curious to know from others why these two aforementioned options are in anyway "beneficial"?

Please peruse the following: [Click_Me]

Thank you for your assistance/advice...much appreciated!

Default Re: SOT: Window "Shadows"

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

On pages 18/26 of the SAC User Manual, information is provided with regards to 1) Show shadows under mouse pointer and 2) Show shadows under windows.
    • See pages 25/32 in the SAW User manual as well...

I am curious to know from others why these two aforementioned options are in anyway "beneficial"?

Please peruse the following: [Click_Me]

Thank you for your assistance/advice...much appreciated!
    Showing shadows can aid in improving visual identification of the mouse pointer and boundaries of the GUI window elements, but some people may prefer not to have shadows displayed. It's just personal preference.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

2 takeaways from my reading of your linked article:

“…We've found that shadows are handy when using light colors.”

“...What's best for your computer, best appearance, best performance…"

Although Bob has often suggested that turning off all "fluff" is helpful in SAW/SAC (and in some cases - such as border padding - it absolutely helps in SAW/SAC), i have reapplied some visual options over time, based on my personal preferences Maybe it works for me because I tend to use light colors and I appreciate the addition of the appearance of depth on the screen. In fact, that's one of the visual appeals for me when using SAW/SAC - a sense of depth.

Blog Entries

UpTilDawn,

In Bob's tweaks, he recommends enabling all four options.

At present, I have decided to disable the shadows for WIN10....as I feel these interfere with the positioning of the respective elements within the SAC/SAW workspace.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 10-09-2023 at 07:05 PM.

Well, I'm obviously behind the times.

My references (at least in my head) go back before SAC was even released.
    The one that made Bob's suggestions impact my experience the most was border padding, which i struggled to keep turned on because i liked its affect in Windows in general. I had to turn it off eventually, because it made labeling channels such a difficult thing (too hard to read).

Shadows, on the other hand, has never been an issue for me where my use of SAC/SAW is concerned.

The current versions of the programs handle border padding just fine now. If you turn it back on, you will have to readjust all your window views and resave your FKeys.

Bob L

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

I might have to fiddle with all this stuff again this winter.